I purchased a new house in April 2025 from builder DRHorton, still under their one year warranty. There are numerous cracks in the walls, ceiling, foundation, driveway. Has anyone had similar experience and how to protect ones self. I already filed with the builder and send over 50 pictures (they are hard to really see), and it's a slow process. Info and how to go about getting the root problem, the foundation, corrected would be greatly appreciated.
I’ve been a building consultant for years. Inspected many DRHorton buildings as well as other large builders.
I understand it can be frustrating having cracks in a new concrete wall. To be honest, concrete has a tendency to crack. Not all cracks are structural. Many foundation walls when built under newer codes will have some rebar in the wall. The degree of rebar is based on soil conditions.
The concern would be if the cracks are large and off set. Where one side is forward and the other is back. You will need a structural engineer to evaluate the cracks. Sometimes you can use epoxy to fill the cracks and it will require monitoring the cracks. Water leaks are another concern.
Contact the builder and see how they respond to your concerns. Concrete is frustrating. Owners have had previous houses where foundation cracks did not exist and they assume a new house will be the same. Driveways crack, sidewalks crack, etc. Many driveways have wire mesh in them to control cracking or they use fiber mesh in concrete which also helps reduce cracking.
Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6mo
@Lisa Thompson, did you have a professional look at cracks? I believe its pretty normal and expected to have a certain amount of cracks the first couple years. For example with walls and ceilings its normal because the wood used to frame the house is drying out more and shrinking a little in addition to any slight settling movement.
The fact that you said they are hard to see, may indicate this is normal and expected cracking which is why I asked if you had a professional look at them.
I purchased a new house in April 2025 from builder DRHorton, still under their one year warranty. There are numerous cracks in the walls, ceiling, foundation, driveway. Has anyone had similar experience and how to protect ones self. I already filed with the builder and send over 50 pictures (they are hard to really see), and it's a slow process. Info and how to go about getting the root problem, the foundation, corrected would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Lisa, glad to have you here on BP! That’s definitely frustrating but you’re doing the right thing by documenting everything and submitting it to the builder while you’re still within the warranty period. Some small drywall or ceiling cracks can be normal in the first year as a new home settles, but cracks in the foundation or driveway are worth paying closer attention to. I’d keep taking clear, dated photos and communicating with the builder in writing so there’s a solid record of the issue and how it progresses. If things keep getting delayed or the cracks worsen, it can also help to bring in a third-party structural engineer or home inspector to give an independent opinion on whether it’s normal settling or something related to the foundation. Having that kind of report can give you more leverage with the builder if a more serious repair is needed under the warranty. The biggest thing is staying organized with your documentation while the warranty is still active so you’re protected if the issue turns out to be more than cosmetic.
I purchased a new house in April 2025 from builder DRHorton, still under their one year warranty. There are numerous cracks in the walls, ceiling, foundation, driveway. Has anyone had similar experience and how to protect ones self. I already filed with the builder and send over 50 pictures (they are hard to really see), and it's a slow process. Info and how to go about getting the root problem, the foundation, corrected would be greatly appreciated.
I recommend Baird Foundation company based out of San Antonio. They fixed a foundation for me last year here in New Braunfels and they were very reasonably priced and professional. Get them to come give you an inspection to see if it really is a problem. I'm sure the inspection is free.
I’ve been a building consultant for years. Inspected many DRHorton buildings as well as other large builders.
I understand it can be frustrating having cracks in a new concrete wall. To be honest, concrete has a tendency to crack. Not all cracks are structural. Many foundation walls when built under newer codes will have some rebar in the wall. The degree of rebar is based on soil conditions.
The concern would be if the cracks are large and off set. Where one side is forward and the other is back. You will need a structural engineer to evaluate the cracks. Sometimes you can use epoxy to fill the cracks and it will require monitoring the cracks. Water leaks are another concern.
Contact the builder and see how they respond to your concerns. Concrete is frustrating. Owners have had previous houses where foundation cracks did not exist and they assume a new house will be the same. Driveways crack, sidewalks crack, etc. Many driveways have wire mesh in them to control cracking or they use fiber mesh in concrete which also helps reduce cracking.