Small investor looking for a mentor (Intent to scale)

Small investor looking for a mentor (Intent to scale)

Member since 2023 · 23 posts · 3 votes

All

I'm a small time investor with a few properties (4) & just like everyone else i want to be successful & scale. Unfortunately for me I still have so many questions even after reading all of the helpful comments from the people on this board. I don't want any handouts, but i am looking for someone that wont mind me picking their brain about different things regarding my small portfolio. Specifically what i can do to scale, problems i'm having etc.

I'm sure some questions will follow about my portfolio & believe me i am eager to talk with someone & give the answers. 

Thanks in advance

0Reply
118 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    Anthony, in addition to BP, you may want to consider joining a local REIA and attending their meetings regularly. It is one of the best places to meet experienced investors who are open to sharing knowledge and mentoring newer investors.

    • Member since 2023 · 23 posts · 3 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Janice Carter:

      Anthony, in addition to BP, you may want to consider joining a local REIA and attending their meetings regularly. It is one of the best places to meet experienced investors who are open to sharing knowledge and mentoring newer investors.

      Janice

      Thanks for replying. I've heard of these & actually went to a few. Most folks were doing their own thing. It wasn't that easy to connect. That was just my experience. Thats not to say i wont go again I just couldn't find what i was looking for those few times. Definitely a good suggestion though.
  • Seth McGatheyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee WI · Member since 2024 · 318 posts · 252 votes
    6mo

    I am in a similar phase of investing as you but with the added benefit of also being an agent and being a part of a investor education program called AspiRE where we help new Real Estate investors get started. But I would be happy to talk and see where we can help each other. 

    Seth McGathey - Shorewest Realtor4.913 Reviews
  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Anthony Harris:

    All

    I'm a small time investor with a few properties (4) & just like everyone else i want to be successful & scale. Unfortunately for me I still have so many questions even after reading all of the helpful comments from the people on this board. I don't want any handouts, but i am looking for someone that wont mind me picking their brain about different things regarding my small portfolio. Specifically what i can do to scale, problems i'm having etc.

    I'm sure some questions will follow about my portfolio & believe me i am eager to talk with someone & give the answers. 

    Thanks in advance

     Hello @Anthony Harris What is your definition of "success" and "scale"?

    • Member since 2023 · 23 posts · 3 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Anthony Harris:

      All

      I'm a small time investor with a few properties (4) & just like everyone else i want to be successful & scale. Unfortunately for me I still have so many questions even after reading all of the helpful comments from the people on this board. I don't want any handouts, but i am looking for someone that wont mind me picking their brain about different things regarding my small portfolio. Specifically what i can do to scale, problems i'm having etc.

      I'm sure some questions will follow about my portfolio & believe me i am eager to talk with someone & give the answers. 

      Thanks in advance

       Hello @Anthony Harris What is your definition of "success" and "scale"?


       Jaycee

      Again i'm small time at the moment. Scale i think is self explanatory. However if you're looking for a number of doors i had in mind to grow to the short term answer is double my current portfolio. So 8. Long term i looking to grow to replace my current income. Not necessarily a certain amount of doors.


      As far as success its at minimum achieving these two metrics.

    • Jaycee GreenePro Member
      Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Anthony Harris:
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Anthony Harris:

      All

      I'm a small time investor with a few properties (4) & just like everyone else i want to be successful & scale. Unfortunately for me I still have so many questions even after reading all of the helpful comments from the people on this board. I don't want any handouts, but i am looking for someone that wont mind me picking their brain about different things regarding my small portfolio. Specifically what i can do to scale, problems i'm having etc.

      I'm sure some questions will follow about my portfolio & believe me i am eager to talk with someone & give the answers. 

      Thanks in advance

       Hello @Anthony Harris What is your definition of "success" and "scale"?


       Jaycee

      Again i'm small time at the moment. Scale i think is self explanatory. However if you're looking for a number of doors i had in mind to grow to the short term answer is double my current portfolio. So 8. Long term i looking to grow to replace my current income. Not necessarily a certain amount of doors.


      As far as success its at minimum achieving these two metrics.

       @Anthony Harris Very little in life is self-explanatory when you're dealing with other people ;-) What is the current value of your property portfolio, the avg rent/unit and NOI for 2025?

    • Member since 2023 · 23 posts · 3 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Anthony Harris:
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Anthony Harris:

      All

      I'm a small time investor with a few properties (4) & just like everyone else i want to be successful & scale. Unfortunately for me I still have so many questions even after reading all of the helpful comments from the people on this board. I don't want any handouts, but i am looking for someone that wont mind me picking their brain about different things regarding my small portfolio. Specifically what i can do to scale, problems i'm having etc.

      I'm sure some questions will follow about my portfolio & believe me i am eager to talk with someone & give the answers. 

      Thanks in advance

       Hello @Anthony Harris What is your definition of "success" and "scale"?


       Jaycee

      Again i'm small time at the moment. Scale i think is self explanatory. However if you're looking for a number of doors i had in mind to grow to the short term answer is double my current portfolio. So 8. Long term i looking to grow to replace my current income. Not necessarily a certain amount of doors.


      As far as success its at minimum achieving these two metrics.

       @Anthony Harris Very little in life is self-explanatory when you're dealing with other people ;-) What is the current value of your property portfolio, the avg rent/unit and NOI for 2025?


       Jaycee

      These are guesstimate numbers based off the averages of zillow, redfin etc. Portfolio - $565,000

      Rents are all around 1300 or so give or take

      NOI is ballpark 45k. Mortgages, insurance, taxes etc

    • Jaycee GreenePro Member
      Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Anthony Harris:
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Anthony Harris:
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Anthony Harris:

      All

      I'm a small time investor with a few properties (4) & just like everyone else i want to be successful & scale. Unfortunately for me I still have so many questions even after reading all of the helpful comments from the people on this board. I don't want any handouts, but i am looking for someone that wont mind me picking their brain about different things regarding my small portfolio. Specifically what i can do to scale, problems i'm having etc.

      I'm sure some questions will follow about my portfolio & believe me i am eager to talk with someone & give the answers. 

      Thanks in advance

       Hello @Anthony Harris What is your definition of "success" and "scale"?


       Jaycee

      Again i'm small time at the moment. Scale i think is self explanatory. However if you're looking for a number of doors i had in mind to grow to the short term answer is double my current portfolio. So 8. Long term i looking to grow to replace my current income. Not necessarily a certain amount of doors.


      As far as success its at minimum achieving these two metrics.

       @Anthony Harris Very little in life is self-explanatory when you're dealing with other people ;-) What is the current value of your property portfolio, the avg rent/unit and NOI for 2025?


       Jaycee

      These are guesstimate numbers based off the averages of zillow, redfin etc. Portfolio - $565,000

      Rents are all around 1300 or so give or take

      NOI is ballpark 45k. Mortgages, insurance, taxes etc

      @Anthony Harris So you're operating margin is around 28%. That's really good. Do you manage the properties yourself, I assume?

    • Member since 2023 · 23 posts · 3 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Anthony Harris:
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Anthony Harris:
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Anthony Harris:

      All

      I'm a small time investor with a few properties (4) & just like everyone else i want to be successful & scale. Unfortunately for me I still have so many questions even after reading all of the helpful comments from the people on this board. I don't want any handouts, but i am looking for someone that wont mind me picking their brain about different things regarding my small portfolio. Specifically what i can do to scale, problems i'm having etc.

      I'm sure some questions will follow about my portfolio & believe me i am eager to talk with someone & give the answers. 

      Thanks in advance

       Hello @Anthony Harris What is your definition of "success" and "scale"?


       Jaycee

      Again i'm small time at the moment. Scale i think is self explanatory. However if you're looking for a number of doors i had in mind to grow to the short term answer is double my current portfolio. So 8. Long term i looking to grow to replace my current income. Not necessarily a certain amount of doors.


      As far as success its at minimum achieving these two metrics.

       @Anthony Harris Very little in life is self-explanatory when you're dealing with other people ;-) What is the current value of your property portfolio, the avg rent/unit and NOI for 2025?


       Jaycee

      These are guesstimate numbers based off the averages of zillow, redfin etc. Portfolio - $565,000

      Rents are all around 1300 or so give or take

      NOI is ballpark 45k. Mortgages, insurance, taxes etc

      @Anthony Harris So you're operating margin is around 28%. That's really good. Do you manage the properties yourself, I assume?


       Jaycee

      No I have a management company. They're charging roughly 100 per property. Apologies i did not include that in my NOI costs

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.