How many phone numbers is too many on a skip trace?

How many phone numbers is too many on a skip trace?

Investor · Nationwide · Member since 2024 · 126 posts · 19 votes

Curious how others handle this.

When a skip trace comes back with 4, 5, or 6 numbers for one owner, do you just call them all, or do you have a way to decide which ones are actually worth trying first?

I’m seeing more and more that the issue isn’t always whether a provider returns numbers.

The bigger issue is whether the returned numbers are actually usable:

  • right owner
  • clean match
  • mobile/wireless
  • high confidence
  • not tied to an old address or bad record

A raw skip trace file can look “complete” but still be a mess operationally.

How are you deciding which numbers or records your callers should work first?

0Reply
97 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Nationwide · Member since 2024 · 126 posts · 19 votes
    3mo

    @Account Closed 

    That makes sense — I’d agree with that. Two strong numbers are definitely better than six questionable ones.

    I think the part I’m trying to dig into is what happens after that data comes back.

    Even with a cleaner provider, there’s still usually some operational decision-making around:

    • which number gets tried first
    • whether the owner match is strong enough
    • whether the record should be worked now or later
    • and whether the contact data supports the motivation signal

    So I’m less focused on “who returns the most numbers” and more on how teams decide which returned records/numbers are actually worth caller time first.

    Are you mostly trusting the provider’s ordering/confidence, or do you have an internal process for ranking the numbers before your callers work them?

  • Virtual Assistant · Virginia, USA · Member since 2026 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    3mo

    Great question. I always prioritize mobile numbers tied to the most recent address first. Landlines and old records go to the bottom. The real issue isn't how many numbers come back — it's data quality. Fewer accurate numbers beat a messy file every time. Cleaner data means less wasted time for your callers

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.