Staying on Track with Contracts

Staying on Track with Contracts

Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 3 votes

I admittedly used AI to help me write a first post to look good and grab attention rather than try and engage in genuine conversation and I regret it, so I feel like I need to start over.
I'm a new investor that got super intrigued by AI and what it could help people and I think that's why I defaulted to it but this is really about trying to learn more and get a better understanding of how contracts work and the general flow of keeping track of documents, deadlines, and all things as part of the administrative process from start to finish for real estate. My personal experience was I think average as far as what I thought was normal but I believe it could've been better. Don't get my wrong, I had a great agent, lender, team to make the one deal work but figuring out all the documents need, keeping track of all the deadlines, emails, signatures on DocuSign and email, and snail-mail

Am I just overthinking it and just have to accept that experience is just part of the deal or am I crazy from thinking it could be better and wanting to create a better way to make it better for everyone?

-Erich

1Reply
138 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3mo

    @Erich Clark, a few thoughts:

    1. Yeah, AI written content rubs people the wrong way! 

    2. You are likely to work with many professionals. You may work with different agents, different lenders, etc etc. So, thinking that YOU can control and get them on a single platform to simplify things for you, is not realistic. 

    3. If you are focused on a specific market, you can use the same agent and law office/closing agent more than others. So, be picky about finding those who have a better process to communicate. 

    4. There are still some old-time agents who may not be entirely comfortable with the tools they have to make the process more seamless. Make sure you are working with agents and offices that are comfortable with these. 

    5. Yes, you WANT it to be hard for everyone! One of the things that makes you less money is when these "barriers to entry" disappear. In my area now that GIS mapping data, deeds, etc are online and easily available it brings in more outside investors, aka competition for deals.

    When things are difficult, BUT you have the ability to cope with those difficulties you have a competitive advantage. Make it easy and simple for everyone and you lose that and you make less deals or less lucrative deals.  

  • Denise SuppleeBusiness Member
    Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 979 posts · 643 votes
    3mo

    I don't think you're crazy at all. After many years as a Realtor, property manager, and investor, I've often thought the same thing. Real estate transactions involve a lot of documents, deadlines, signatures, emails, and coordination between multiple parties, and it can absolutely feel overwhelming at times. Experience does make it easier because you begin to recognize the process and know what's coming next. But that doesn't mean the process is as efficient as it could be.

    In my experience, some of the biggest improvements in our industry have come from people asking exactly the kinds of questions you're asking. Sometimes we accept a process simply because it's the way it's always been done.

    Keep asking questions and learning. That's how better systems get built.

    Spark Rental Co-Investing Club577 Reviews
  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    3mo

    Thanks so much for the insight and advice and I agree with some points. I will definitely keep engaging to learning more and trying to be as helpful as I can to the industry and community. 
    Are there any specific problems or further insights you could share can definitely help me understand the process more. 

  • Garrett CrosbyPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, United States · Member since 2021 · 392 posts · 162 votes
    3mo

    You're not overthinking it. The transaction coordination process in real estate is genuinely fragmented, especially for buyers who aren't doing it constantly. Even as an agent, I see clients get lost between the lender's portal, DocuSign, email threads, and the title company's separate system. Everyone's using different tools and nothing talks to each other.

    Kevin's point about not being able to force all parties onto one platform is true, but there's still a lot you can do on your side to create order: a simple shared Google Doc or spreadsheet with every deadline mapped out (inspection, financing, appraisal, title review, close date), every document expected and its status, and every party's contact info and what they're responsible for. I create this at the start of every transaction and update it in real time. It takes 20 minutes to set up and eliminates most of the confusion.

    The bigger lesson: the agents and lenders who make transactions feel smooth aren't doing it because the systems are better. They're doing it because they've built their own layer on top of the chaos and communicate proactively before clients have to ask. Find professionals who operate that way and the experience changes significantly.

  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    3mo

    @Garrett Crosby

    I again appreciate the insight from this reply and on the other post. I agree you can’t force everyone to use the same system but I think some things could be created to make it easier for the industry as a whole, but that’s just my opinion. I understand every agent has their own preferences and set up for how they make the transaction and deadline tracking better, would you mind sharing with me how you tackle that approach?

  • Specialist · Goa, India · Member since 2026 · 175 posts · 36 votes
    3mo

    @Enrich Clark you're not overthinking it at all — the admin chaos you described is completely real and most people just accept it as normal when it doesn't have to be.

    The good news is this is exactly the kind of problem automation solves well. A simple Google Sheet with every transaction mapped out — document name, status, deadline, responsible party, and a notes column — takes about 20 minutes to set up per deal and eliminates most of the mental load. Add automated deadline reminders via email and you're never caught off guard by an expiring contingency or a missing signature again.

    The fact that you're thinking about this after just one deal puts you way ahead. Most investors only fix this after losing money from a missed deadline.

    What part of the process felt most chaotic for you — the document tracking, the deadline management, or the communication between all the parties?

  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    3mo

    @Andrea Fernandes, Thanks for your input and insight. I would love to hear more about your process and how you keep track of everything!

  • Garrett CrosbyPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, United States · Member since 2021 · 392 posts · 162 votes
    2mo

    Erich, happy to get more specific. My tracker is nothing fancy — a shared Google Sheet per transaction with columns for: task/document, who owns it, due date, status (not started/in progress/done), and a notes field for anything unusual. I front-load it the day we open escrow by mapping every contractual deadline backward from close date. I check it every morning for anything due in the next 48 hours and send a quick heads-up text to whoever owns that item, rather than waiting for them to remember on their own. It's not automated, it's just consistent — the value isn't the tool, it's that someone is actively driving the timeline instead of hoping everyone remembers their own deadlines. Happy to share the template if that'd help, feel free to DM me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.