Starting my journey with a multifamily? Any tips/advice?

Starting my journey with a multifamily? Any tips/advice?

Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 6 votes

I have seen the general trend to be to invest in SFHs and then consolidate to MFHs eventually. 

I am in a position that from other investments and my W2 income, I can possibly afford to by a quadplex or even larger. I’ve seen some 16 unit properties for sale in my area in Charlotte NC that I have the down payment to make potentially. 

I feel like I’m skipping ahead and taking a shortcut but is it a terrible idea to go straight to a larger property? 

1Reply
152 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2mo

    @Nikesh Patel How confident are you in your underwriting? Especially ability to identify systems nearing their end of their useful life and other cap ex items that may hit after completing the purchase? Expect most real estate to ultimately be far more capital intensive than merely what's needed to complete the purchase. Maybe there's a middle ground more conservative approach where you can buy a smaller multi-family property and preserve some liquidity. Also it's important to understand the investment strategy behind buying SFH's and multi-family. For those who really understand SFH investing, they understand the asset classes serve entirely different purposes in many instances.

    • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 6 votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Stuart Udis:

      @Nikesh Patel How confident are you in your underwriting? Especially ability to identify systems nearing their end of their useful life and other cap ex items that may hit after completing the purchase? Expect most real estate to ultimately be far more capital intensive than merely what's needed to complete the purchase. Maybe there's a middle ground more conservative approach where you can buy a smaller multi-family property and preserve some liquidity. Also it's important to understand the investment strategy behind buying SFH's and multi-family. For those who really understand SFH investing, they understand the asset classes serve entirely different purposes in many instances.


       Not confident at all. I’ve been suffering from analysis paralysis for years now lol 

  • Ashley RigsbeePro Member
    Customer Success & Onboarding Specialist at BiggerPockets · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2023 · 85 posts · 34 votes
    2mo

    Nikesh, this is a great question. I know larger multifamily means commercial financing, likely a property manager from day one, and different underwriting than a duplex or quadplex talking to a commercial lender early, could be helpful. Charlotte's a solid market for this curious what part of town the property's in?

    BiggerPockets
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.