The Questions I Ask Before I Underwrite an Assisted Living Deal

The Questions I Ask Before I Underwrite an Assisted Living Deal

Rental Property Investor · Orlando · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 45 votes

Hello everyone, Look forward to meeting you guys in October here in my hometown. 

I have learned that assisted living is not simply multifamily with higher rents. It is an operating business wrapped in real estate, and the real estate can look attractive while the operation quietly destroys the investment.


1. What is the real resident revenue not the asking rate?
I want to see actual collections by resident level of care, private-pay versus Medicaid exposure, concessions, and move-outs. A facility can advertise a high monthly rate while its realized revenue tells a very different story.

2. Is demand actually strong in this micro-market?
Demographics are a tailwind, but “aging population” is not enough. I look at the local competitive set, occupancy, pricing, new supply, referral sources, and whether families in that trade area can afford the facility’s private-pay rates.

3. What does labor look like after normalizing the staffing model?
Payroll is usually the largest expense line. I want to understand staffing ratios by shift, overtime, agency labor, management depth, and whether the reported NOI assumes an owner is doing work that will need to be replaced after closing.

4. What are the licensing, life-safety, and deferred-maintenance risks?
In conventional apartments, a bad roof or HVAC problem is expensive. In assisted living, compliance failures can threaten the license, the census, and the business at the same time. I would rather find these issues before closing than explain them after.

interested in how others here evaluate senior housing. What is the one operating metric or diligence question you think investors consistently underestimate?

3Reply
244 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Denise SuppleeBusiness Member
    Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 970 posts · 638 votes
    1mo

    Hello @Julian Sanchez, Thank you for this info. Our coinvesting club is investing in our first assisted living facility and your info is very helpful!

    Spark Rental Co-Investing Club577 Reviews
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1mo
    Quote from @Julian Sanchez:

    Hello everyone, Look forward to meeting you guys in October here in my hometown. 

    I have learned that assisted living is not simply multifamily with higher rents. It is an operating business wrapped in real estate, and the real estate can look attractive while the operation quietly destroys the investment.


    1. What is the real resident revenue not the asking rate?
    I want to see actual collections by resident level of care, private-pay versus Medicaid exposure, concessions, and move-outs. A facility can advertise a high monthly rate while its realized revenue tells a very different story.

    2. Is demand actually strong in this micro-market?
    Demographics are a tailwind, but “aging population” is not enough. I look at the local competitive set, occupancy, pricing, new supply, referral sources, and whether families in that trade area can afford the facility’s private-pay rates.

    3. What does labor look like after normalizing the staffing model?
    Payroll is usually the largest expense line. I want to understand staffing ratios by shift, overtime, agency labor, management depth, and whether the reported NOI assumes an owner is doing work that will need to be replaced after closing.

    4. What are the licensing, life-safety, and deferred-maintenance risks?
    In conventional apartments, a bad roof or HVAC problem is expensive. In assisted living, compliance failures can threaten the license, the census, and the business at the same time. I would rather find these issues before closing than explain them after.

    interested in how others here evaluate senior housing. What is the one operating metric or diligence question you think investors consistently underestimate?


     Gave you a Vote as great info!
    Keep sharing:)

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1mo
    Quote from @Julian Sanchez:

    Hello everyone, Look forward to meeting you guys in October here in my hometown. 

    I have learned that assisted living is not simply multifamily with higher rents. It is an operating business wrapped in real estate, and the real estate can look attractive while the operation quietly destroys the investment.


    1. What is the real resident revenue not the asking rate?
    I want to see actual collections by resident level of care, private-pay versus Medicaid exposure, concessions, and move-outs. A facility can advertise a high monthly rate while its realized revenue tells a very different story.

    2. Is demand actually strong in this micro-market?
    Demographics are a tailwind, but “aging population” is not enough. I look at the local competitive set, occupancy, pricing, new supply, referral sources, and whether families in that trade area can afford the facility’s private-pay rates.

    3. What does labor look like after normalizing the staffing model?
    Payroll is usually the largest expense line. I want to understand staffing ratios by shift, overtime, agency labor, management depth, and whether the reported NOI assumes an owner is doing work that will need to be replaced after closing.

    4. What are the licensing, life-safety, and deferred-maintenance risks?
    In conventional apartments, a bad roof or HVAC problem is expensive. In assisted living, compliance failures can threaten the license, the census, and the business at the same time. I would rather find these issues before closing than explain them after.

    interested in how others here evaluate senior housing. What is the one operating metric or diligence question you think investors consistently underestimate?


     1. What is the real resident revenue not the asking rate? - Every market is different. The cost to hire someone in your market may be different than mine.  When you make an offer on an assisted living home it's no different than making an offer on any business- You ask to see the books. 

    2. Is demand actually strong in this micro-market?  Yes, but private pay only works in areas where the financial demograhics of the area is relatively high net worth

    3. What does labor look like after normalizing the staffing model?- You are right. The largest expense line is labor. Regarding management depth- It depends on the laws in the county that the facility operates. Regarding an owner doing work- That depends on an operations business model- Some operators self manage- while others hire others to manage the operations which naturally means a lower NOI. There's no set model

    4. What are the licensing, life-saftey and deferred maintenance risks? Every county in the US has different licensing requirments. There's no National Standard. Regarding deferred maintenance- It's no different than any other business with Capex.


    We only have an interest in residential assisted living- Not assisted living.  One metric we look for when evaluating investing is staff turn over. Too much turn over can lead to quality of care going down. 

  • Vijay FriedmanBusiness Member
    Miami, FL · Member since 2026 · 766 posts · 122 votes
    1mo
    Quote from @Julian Sanchez:

    Hello everyone, Look forward to meeting you guys in October here in my hometown. 

    I have learned that assisted living is not simply multifamily with higher rents. It is an operating business wrapped in real estate, and the real estate can look attractive while the operation quietly destroys the investment.


    1. What is the real resident revenue not the asking rate?
    I want to see actual collections by resident level of care, private-pay versus Medicaid exposure, concessions, and move-outs. A facility can advertise a high monthly rate while its realized revenue tells a very different story.

    2. Is demand actually strong in this micro-market?
    Demographics are a tailwind, but “aging population” is not enough. I look at the local competitive set, occupancy, pricing, new supply, referral sources, and whether families in that trade area can afford the facility’s private-pay rates.

    3. What does labor look like after normalizing the staffing model?
    Payroll is usually the largest expense line. I want to understand staffing ratios by shift, overtime, agency labor, management depth, and whether the reported NOI assumes an owner is doing work that will need to be replaced after closing.

    4. What are the licensing, life-safety, and deferred-maintenance risks?
    In conventional apartments, a bad roof or HVAC problem is expensive. In assisted living, compliance failures can threaten the license, the census, and the business at the same time. I would rather find these issues before closing than explain them after.

    interested in how others here evaluate senior housing. What is the one operating metric or diligence question you think investors consistently underestimate?

    @Julian Sanchez
    I'd add normalized NOI after management and staffing adjustments. With assisted living, the real estate can look strong while the operating business changes the financing picture completely. I'd also want to understand how much of the NOI depends on the current owner personally before underwriting the acquisition.

    DreamPoint Capital
  • Boston, MA · Member since 2026 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    2w

    Good list, the labor normalization point especially. Curious what state you're mostly looking at, licensing bodies vary a lot on how much weight they give past deficiencies to a new owner.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.