What Is Your Backup Exit When a Refinance Comes Up Short?

What Is Your Backup Exit When a Refinance Comes Up Short?

Dan HandfordPro Member
Investor · Lexington, SC · Member since 2018 · 779 posts · 501 votes

A rental investor finishes a renovation and expects to refinance at a $600,000 valuation. The permanent lender will lend up to 70 percent of value, which sounds like $420,000.

Then the lender applies its debt coverage test. At current rates, the property's income only supports $355,000 of debt.

That $65,000 gap can turn a successful renovation into a liquidity problem.

Before closing, I like to test the refinance exit against both value and cash flow, then ask what happens if the lower number controls. Possible backups might include bringing in more equity, selling, extending the bridge loan, reducing costs, or holding extra reserves. None is automatic, and each carries a different cost.

When you underwrite a BRRRR or bridge deal, what backup exit do you require if the refinance proceeds come in below plan?

0Reply
251 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2026 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    3w

    Seems NOI doesn't support enough debt to reach $420k. That's due to a bad or no financing underwriting I think from the start if you only focused on property value. You'll have to bring in additional equity to close the refinance though that'll be painful. Or you could wait if rents are likely to increase or you raise rents. Reducing the amount that needs financing or you could sell if the economics don't work, repay bridge and take remaining equity.

  • Dan HandfordPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Lexington, SC · Member since 2018 · 779 posts · 501 votes
    3w

    Exactly, Chidiebere. The future lender’s debt service coverage test can become the binding constraint even when the valuation supports more leverage. Bringing in equity or selling may solve the gap, but neither is painless, which is why I prefer to identify that shortfall before acquisition. I would also be cautious about waiting for rent growth unless the current cash flow and reserves can carry the property through that period. Thanks for laying out the practical options.

  • Ryan ThomsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2w

    The deal that blows up at refinance usually failed underwriting, not the renovation.

    My backup sequence in order: pre-identify a second lien source before closing. A DSCR second or private note can bridge a $40-70K gap without touching the primary. You know the rough shortfall range before you buy, so price it in as a cost.

    Model the refinance at the DSCR number, not the LTV number. If value supports $420K but income only supports $355K, the plan is $355K. Anything above that is upside, not the base case.

    If you need to sell instead, a low assumable rate on the property is actually a strong exit. A buyer assuming a 3% loan on $355K pays roughly $1,500/mo. Same loan at 6.8% is $2,340/mo. That $840/month gap creates real buyer demand even in a slow market, and you'll sell faster than comparable listings at market rate.

    The mistake is building the whole model around full LTV refinance and treating DSCR as a formality. Run both tests before you close or you're just hoping the appraisal saves you.

    -

    The Assumable Guy544 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.