Help with capitalization strategy

Help with capitalization strategy

Miami, FL · Member since 2011 · 298 posts · 74 votes

Hello fellow investors,

I need help brainstorming and actually getting educated in alternative financing and re-capitalization.

2 years ago I've bought a SFH with attached ADUs totalling 4 doors that are cash flowing pretty well. Interest rate around 5%, between down-payment and fixes I got pretty short in liquidity and even deeped into a HELOC. I've been able to pay down most of the heloc but haven't been able to capitalize yet in savings.
I decided to stop waiting for the perfect moment and decided to repeat and I'm now under contract for a similar SFH. The difference is that this time I am going much deeper into the Heloc, down and upgrades are coming from it, and although it will cash flow, with todays rates and the Heloc (interes only BTW) the spread isn't the same as my firts one. This is a 20% down investment loan plus some modification costs.
Now I feel I'm stuck with no ways to scale as it will take years to repay my heloc and capitalize.
One important detail is that there is no enough equity yet in any of them for cashout refi.

What options you guys see here for me to accelerate the paydown on my heloc and my ability to repeat?

Thank you in advance.!

2Reply
328 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Houston, TX · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 6 votes
21h

Hi Allende, sounds like both properties work, and it's really the cash flow on the HELOC that's tight. Depending on where you are with the new purchase, a DSCR loan that qualifies on the rent could take some pressure off, and once there's a bit more equity a portfolio refi across both could free up cash. What are the price and rents on the new one, and roughly what do you owe versus what the first one is worth today?

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Houston, TX · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 6 votes
    21h

    Hi Allende, sounds like both properties work, and it's really the cash flow on the HELOC that's tight. Depending on where you are with the new purchase, a DSCR loan that qualifies on the rent could take some pressure off, and once there's a bit more equity a portfolio refi across both could free up cash. What are the price and rents on the new one, and roughly what do you owe versus what the first one is worth today?

    • Miami, FL · Member since 2011 · 298 posts · 74 votes
      19h

      Nyisha, thank you for your input!

      How would a DSCR loan help me here other than for an easier qualification? I priced both and regular investment came out winning with a slightly better rate and no prepayment penalty.

      I am not counting on equity building up because between purchase and rehab/upgrades/modifications I am close if not above of market price today. Although I am hoping that a rate drop in the mid-term will allow me to refinance and increase my cash flow, but I did not construct the deal around this assumption.

  • Lender · Member since 2026 · 35 posts · 19 votes
    17h

    Allende, you're not really stuck on the HELOC — you're stuck on the buy side. The reason you can't recycle capital is that deal 2 went in at (or above) market price. When you buy at market and fund down payment + upgrades with borrowed money, there's no equity created at purchase, so there's nothing to pull back out. No seasoning program in the world fixes that — that's just math.

    The investors who repeat on a small capital base buy a discount so the appraisal at purchase creates instant equity, then take out against it (there are DSCR cash-out programs with no seasoning requirement) to fund the next deal. Your deal 1 probably had this built in — you said it's cash flowing well and you've paid the HELOC down. That property is your engine.

    So practically, for where you are today:

    1. Treat the portfolio as one balance sheet. Deal 1's free cash flow (you're at ~5%, so that payment is tiny) shouldn't sit in savings — it should be aimed straight at the HELOC balance. You're paying interest-only on a variable rate right now, which means you're treading water. Every extra dollar of principal you kill is a guaranteed return at your HELOC rate.

    2. Consider converting the drawn HELOC balance into a closed-end second. Same debt, but fixed rate and it actually amortizes, so you're forced into principal paydown instead of paying interest-only for years. That ends the 'years to repay' treadmill a lot faster than the HELOC will.

    3. Stop underwriting deal 3 on rate-drop hopes and 20%-down-at-market. The lever that lets you repeat is bought equity, not cheaper money. You priced DSCR vs. conventional and you're right — DSCR usually runs a hair higher with a prepay penalty, so conventional winning on a single deal checks out. Where DSCR earns its keep is when your DTI can't take another conventional loan — it qualifies on the property's rent instead of your income.

    You're in better shape than you think. Property 1 is a compounding machine if you point its cash flow at the HELOC. Get the balance sheet clean, then your next deal funds itself through bought equity.

    Happy to run the actual numbers with you if you want a second set of eyes — Dan

  • Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2024 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    15h

    Hi Allende — with a HELOC already drawn against the first house and a second one closing at 20% down, the bottleneck is usually equity and seasoning, not just cash flow — most cash-out and DSCR lenders size off in-place rent and want the property stabilized, so how the ADU income is documented matters a lot. A portfolio or DSCR refi once the second property is leased, or restructuring the HELOC piece, can sometimes free up capital faster than a straight cash-out on one house alone. I am Marc with Royal Partners — if you want, DM me the rough balances, rents, and values on both properties and I will give you straight numbers on what actually pencils.

  • Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2026 · 78 posts · 21 votes
    14h
    Quote from @Allende Hernandez:

    Hello fellow investors,

    I need help brainstorming and actually getting educated in alternative financing and re-capitalization.

    2 years ago I've bought a SFH with attached ADUs totalling 4 doors that are cash flowing pretty well. Interest rate around 5%, between down-payment and fixes I got pretty short in liquidity and even deeped into a HELOC. I've been able to pay down most of the heloc but haven't been able to capitalize yet in savings.
    I decided to stop waiting for the perfect moment and decided to repeat and I'm now under contract for a similar SFH. The difference is that this time I am going much deeper into the Heloc, down and upgrades are coming from it, and although it will cash flow, with todays rates and the Heloc (interes only BTW) the spread isn't the same as my firts one. This is a 20% down investment loan plus some modification costs.
    Now I feel I'm stuck with no ways to scale as it will take years to repay my heloc and capitalize.
    One important detail is that there is no enough equity yet in any of them for cashout refi.

    What options you guys see here for me to accelerate the paydown on my heloc and my ability to repeat?

    Thank you in advance.!

    Hi Allende, I understand the challenge you're facing. Scaling a rental portfolio while managing HELOC debt and preserving liquidity requires a strategic approach, especially when there's not enough equity yet to support a cash-out refinance.

    As a private lender, I’d be glad to connect and explore whether alternative financing or a recapitalization strategy could help improve your liquidity and create a more sustainable path to your next acquisition. The goal would be to evaluate the existing properties, current debt obligations, and potential financing options to see what makes the most sense for your situation.

    I'd welcome the opportunity to connect, learn more about your portfolio, and see how I may be able to help. Looking forward to connecting!

  • Divin KanyamaBusiness Member
    Accountant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2025 · 470 posts · 190 votes
    11h

    @Allende Hernandez The main issue may not be finding another financing product—it may be that the portfolio is already highly leveraged and short on liquidity. Using an interest-only HELOC for the down payment and renovations creates variable-rate and repayment risk, while the new property's thinner spread leaves little room for vacancy, repairs, or cost overruns. I would model both properties under higher HELOC rates and several months of lost rent before closing.

    Potential options include pausing acquisitions and directing all excess cash flow to the HELOC, reducing or phasing renovations, bringing in an equity partner, selling or exchanging a weaker asset, or refinancing later when equity and debt coverage support it. You could also ask local banks or credit unions about fixed-rate portfolio or commercial loans, but replacing debt with more debt does not solve an overleveraged position unless the payment and risk materially improve. Scaling more slowly while rebuilding reserves may be the fastest sustainable path. A lender and CPA should review the full numbers, taxes, and loan terms before you commit further.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.