Creative real estate ( Buying and renting a houseboat)

Creative real estate ( Buying and renting a houseboat)

Commercial Real Estate Agent · East Providence, RI · Member since 2014 · 80 posts · 10 votes

I was doing a little research and found that you can get houseboats at a fair price. Has anyone considered buying a houseboat. putting it in a nice slip and renting it out per-night as a vaca rental? 

Any feedback would be awesome.

0Reply
40 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2010 · 41 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    As you explore this more, you might contact the county where you think will be stored in the slip and ask for estimate of annual taxes for the boat itself, plus anything else for your plan to turn it into a vacation rental.  

    Every time I purchase what I consider a pleasure boat, the city/county has their hand out and apparently this is an annual thing. This is in addition to registration, tax/title/transfer at the DMV/MVD. 

    What I was told by the clerk when asking why they care about my boat(s) is that these taxes are aimed primarily towards houseboats, yachts, and larger luxury boats that might aslo be dwelling units.  

    Just another expense to consider as you estimate your costs for such a venture.

  • Electrician · Bothell, WA · Member since 2014 · 241 posts · 96 votes
    10y

    I very much like the idea of renting house boats. You could even take it a step further and own a marina at a given location and rent out slips to lake goers.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.