Removing awnings

5 Replies

Hi everyone,

I'm about to start a large renovation project and the house has some awning on the windows and the front porch which I would like to remove. Anyone know is this a big to-do? It's not necessary for me to do it now and if it's a budget killer I won't but in general any idea on how much this is to remove? There are 4 window awnings plus the front porch awning. Thanks in advance.

hard to tell. if it's a 5 story house the cost will be different than a one story house.

i hate awnings and ALWAYS remove them. get wrench, screwdriver, angle grinder and rip them down. how hard is that?

offer them on CL for scrap metal. problem solved.

@George P.   I'm definitely not going to be the one going up there removing them lol. I was thinking the same thing though in that it shouldn't be that hard for someone to do. Just trying to get an understanding for pricing and is it something that any contractor should be able to do? It's a three story home. I like the scrap metal idea. That should offset the cost a bit. Thanks.

I would make sure that any contractor you have on your property is properly insured and licensed. So when they or if they fall off the ladder they can't sue you.

I can't see this costing more than $150 per awning.

Good luck

@Account Closed  Yeah, I definitely don't need any uninsured contractors keeping me up at night doing that. That sounds like a fair price. Thanks for the input.

I also have an awning over the front porch of the multi I just purchased. The seller's are paying to replace the awning since it had some damage from a wind storm, but in the future I'd like to take it down. It's my understanding that these are bolted into the siding, and I would have to find matching siding to repair/make it look decent. 

Anyone run into this, or a workaround?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here