MLS access across the country or only in licensed state?

4 Replies

So I'm living in Chicago, but I am planning to move to Dallas this summer. I passed the test for my real estate license in Texas last summer but haven't activated it yet. If I activate it now can I view MLS properties in any part of the country or just in Texas?

Thank you!

@Aaron Rickett I would think just Texas and it may not be all of TX. Generally, MLS access (closed sales price and other pertinent information) is via the association you join. I have access to properties in the DC area (DC/MD/VA) and it also includes some WV & PA areas. However when I was in MS, my MLS access was only the Jackson area, it did not include Northern MS, Vicksburg, etc..... I believe TX is like MS and is non-disclosure so the MLS is key in getting the actual sales price.

Sonya got it.

The MLS is under the Board of Realtors in that franchised area, it might be one county or a dozen and you need to join that Board for access to their listings. Now, different Boards may have reciprocal agreements, but not in my area.

You better check how long you have to activate that license too.

To join the Board and MLS, you usually will be required to be active under a broker or be in an active status under a broker as you can't conduct business as an agent without agency status. :)

@Sonya Stovall is correct that Texas is a non-disclosure state and that you won't automatically have MLS access for the whole state.

Thanks for all of the replys. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I plan to activate the license and really start investing once I get to Texas in a couple months. In the mean time I'll just study and learn as much as I can.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.