Financing advice for future FHA first time home buyer "house hack" purchase.

Financing advice for future FHA first time home buyer "house hack" purchase.

Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 23 votes

Hello BP!

Wanted to get some feedback or ideas from past experience from people who have done an FHA first time home buyer loan to purchase a residential multi family (looking into triplexes and quad's). I'm experienced and have a long family background in RE investing and purchased a few properties this year, so this isn't all new to me.

My plan is to buy a triplex or quad next year and use the FHA first time home buyer loan to pick up the property. I'd live in one of the units for a year, buy the property distressed but in an appreciating area that I like, and build value into it (I'm a partner in a general contracting company so I can get pretty creative with renovations for cheap).

My complication is that since I'm an entrepreneur/ partner in a family business all my income comes from 1099 and capital gains. I know this is difficult for getting financing and lenders I've spoken to in Arizona where I am located don't want to lend unless you have at least two years of 1099 returns to show. Since I'm a small business owner however I have a lot of tax write offs and accounting methods that enables me to show a very low income that wouldn't qualify me for traditional financing (I would have cash reserves to cover a mortgage and expenses for extended periods of time if need be). Has anybody encountered this situation and found a solution to this? Are there lenders who will lend based on the property itself and it's revenue producing potential and my experience/partners in real estate who back me? I was thinking if I identified properties I was interested in, and came prepared to a lender with all the data on the purchase, APOD, cash flow models, and examples of my past work they might consider than and lend based off of that. Has this worked for anyone or  have you found a similar strategy that was successful?

Thanks for your input.

0Reply
10 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    @Ciro Affronti

    - Any residential lender will require 2 full years of tax returns, and they will go off the income reported. So it could be very difficult to get a FHA loan until you show more income earned.

    The other option is a commercial loan which will be based off the value of the property, but you will need at lease 20% down and they will usually require a solid track record of experience.  If your family is involved in the business you could work with them on the loan and use their experience to qualify. 

  • Hickory, NC · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    11y
    Hard money lenders are probably your best bet. No matter how prepared you are, traditional lenders only go by your current income and proven by the last two years of your 1040's which is not possible in you situation.
  • Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2015 · 280 posts · 98 votes
    11y

    @Ciro Affronti, consider no-doc (self-reported income) loan.  They may ask you to show bank statements showing money coming in.  They tend to be shorter in loan period, similar to commercial loan.

    Or just higher tax the year before.  Tax to pay vs Ease of qualifying loan is always entrepreneurs face.  You are not alone.

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 23 votes
    11y

    Really appreciate the input everyone, I guess that's the trade-off you making of being in business for yourself right. I'll pursue more of a hard money/ commercial type of loan strategy and just such it up and put the 20% down. Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.