does anyone know if tenant's unpaid utilities stay with house

does anyone know if tenant's unpaid utilities stay with house

Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2012 · 28 posts · 1 vote

when they move out?  our ten ants moved out april 30, and if they haven't paid their utilities up till then, who ends up paying those last bills?  thanks!

1Reply
26 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Leesburg, FL · Member since 2015 · 92 posts · 31 votes
    11y
    The utilities are in the tenants name and the tenants responsibility. If they don't pay the power company will go after the tenants for the unpaid balance. The only exception I have heard of us small towns that supply water will tack leans onto the property. I have never heard of this with electric.
  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2012 · 28 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    so a water bill could possibly stay with the house...

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    11y

    Brandon Turner just mentioned in a podcast that after a rash of tenants putting utilities in their name and then not paying, his city has changed the laws and the utilities stay in the homeowner's name. He now has to bill his tenants for utilities every month. I can't remember if this is water or all utilities. 

    If the bill is in their name, the city will go after them. I don't see how they can place a lien against the property, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they did. I can see cities changing the rules to follow Brandon's city...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.