Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 272 posts · 50 votes
Hey BP,
Does anyone know a good and honest pear & beam leveling service in San Antonio, TX? Also about how much should a expect to pay for a 1000sft house (to be leveled), and are estimates based on square footage or on how bad the property is off level?
Cost is based on number of piers (which can be, but is not completely determined by square footage), number of beams needing to be replaced, removal of old piers & beams, current height of foundation relative to ground level, soil type, any additional carpentry, how busy the contractor is at the time of the bid, and if the property is vacant or occupied.
Tell them I sent you. My two recommendations for pier and beam foundation contractors are (in this order). I have used both several times.
Jesus Cuellar - JC Foundation leveling 210-734-9865 (may have to leave a message)
Frank Lozano - Frank's Foundation Leveling 210-772-8141
Cost is based on number of piers (which can be, but is not completely determined by square footage), number of beams needing to be replaced, removal of old piers & beams, current height of foundation relative to ground level, soil type, any additional carpentry, how busy the contractor is at the time of the bid, and if the property is vacant or occupied.
Tell them I sent you. My two recommendations for pier and beam foundation contractors are (in this order). I have used both several times.
Jesus Cuellar - JC Foundation leveling 210-734-9865 (may have to leave a message)
Frank Lozano - Frank's Foundation Leveling 210-772-8141
Investor / Syndicator · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 366 posts · 220 votes
10y
@Tristan Cortez Tristan, I'm in the same boat you were in 9 months ago looking for a good foundation contractor in SA...how did it work out? I'm wondering if an engineer is good to hire first to get clear on exactly what needs to be done and how...never done this before.
Boone, NC · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 0 votes
10y
You can go either way. If you get the engineering report first, it will be unbiased, but if you have a contractor install something outside of his recommendation, you may end up paying another engineer to draw up new specs. Here in NCandVA, we have to have engineer specs to match what is installed. Not sure about other states.
If you talk to the contractor first, he will likely steer you to an engineer who knows and believes in the solutions that particular contractor offers.
Another thing to consider: the engineer provides an educated opinion, but is not liable for your results, and opinions differ from one person to another. The contractor provides the warranty. Especiallyou if you plan to hold the property, look closely at the company and contract . The warranty probably disappears the day they close up shop.
I hope this is helpful. Let me know if I can help in the future.
Contractor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2013 · 647 posts · 205 votes
10y
@Mike Krieg, I'm a fan of Derk over at Vantage Foundation - 210 338 5678. He's a bit more expensive than some, but he's top notch at getting the work done, and he'll honor his price within his scope of work. Plus, he pulls permits and is very conscientious about his product. That said, I'm sure there are other good ones out there as well; whatever you do, just make sure you do your due diligence, check their license through the SA Development Services Department, insurance, etc. That rule holds true for everything. Good luck and let us know if we can help with anything else!