El Nino is going to wipe some Calif dudes out

5 Replies

Being a surfer for decades I have followed the weather closely for decades. Before the internet I could look at satellite photos and tell you where the rain and waves were going to hit. So now there are some serious El Nino predictions officially coming in. We have been in a drought for so long that some dudes were able to dump some troubled properties without anyone knowing they were water drainage nightmares. If you bought one of those, I recommend lowering deductibles now and raising coverage to the limits! Based on the ocean temps I have been experiencing these past two seasons this is going to be a real big one. Personally, I would sell those now. You will be able to buy it back cheaper after the damage. Good luck this year and next.

Matt,

As you posted it looks like scientists are pretty confident of a big El Nino storm coming for California this 2015-2016 winter.

But raising deductibles on common property insurance is not going to cover for flood related damages.  Beach area or low lying areas should consider flood insurance for this winter.  I would agree that if you know you have a water drainage issue with a particular property in the El Nino storm risk areas this is a good time to sell.  But I wouldn't buy a property in such a water risk area.

Cool post. But the most exciting part?? The impending snowboarding conditions if it all pans out! :) Woop woop!

@Ali Boone  Ha yes...well maybe, I hate to rain on all the ski bums parade but the El Ninos have one El problemo, that is they are warmer than normal winter storms and don't necessarily translate to more snow for the resorts. Keep your fingers crossed for some cold storms mixed in ;) Now for the waves that is another story...this is when you see 10 footers crashing on some beach houses roofs. 

I'll just keep picturing 10ft snow drifts for the slopes :)

Originally posted by @Ali Boone :

I'll just keep picturing 10ft snow drifts for the slopes :)

Right on, Mammoth, June should be good to go for that:)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide