Do you have emotional support from your s.o. and or kids?

Do you have emotional support from your s.o. and or kids?

Investor · Northeast, NE · Member since 2015 · 258 posts · 83 votes

I have lived all by myself without any s.o. for over 15 years.  BUT as I get older I catch it ,,,generally h-e-two sticks,,every time I see my kids.  ALL of them, obviously they talk about this cause I get the same old crap from each every time.

A couple years ago they started on this false story of me wasting $100,000 on a complete gut rehab basement up rebuild.  I ask where they got there numbers and they said they were keeping track of it,,,huh,,,not even I did that,,,but cant think of HOW that is even remotely possible,let alone even half way close.  A third of that maybe.

  Fast forward to the last go round.  I am social security age, barely.  I was TOLD that if and when I die I should NOT have one house, car(I like my OLD cars), tool(of which I have hundreds)(And use them daily to rehab houses,,,,including working on theirs.) BECAUSE that would be child abuse, somebody would have to dispose of it and no one has time.

I NEED to buy a house with a huge garage to live in myself and they are all beating me over the head saying you cant buy one more house.  I am down to just a few from quite alot at one time.  IF I dont reno them now when will I get my bucket list cleaned up?  Been making huge progress as fast as I can while working 2 jobs altho both part time.  Last week it was up at 3:30 AM every morning for 6 days to open the store at one job,,then closing the other store till about 10PM every night....THAT makes me tired.  Those kinds of weeks work on houses slows.

Now normal people, I would think would encourage their parents to buy, fix,rent,hold and build worth AND do as they darn well please with the few years left.  Is their ANYONE on this board with negative nellies in their family,influence circle???

1Reply
8 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bay Shore, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
10y

@Don Meinke - I sense that you are a visionary and your thinking is way above their myopic reach.

Continue to do what you have been doing over the years and now in the twilight of your career.

@Matt Motil gave an excellent analogy about the crabs.

In retrospect, the fact of the matter is that it's good for you to be able to share those experiences with this community which embraces your REI mindset.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 880 votes
    10y

    everyone has them. There is an interesting lesson about how to cook a crab. One crab in a pot will simple climb himself out. Multiple crabs will pull each other back in the minute one gets close to escaping. They will keep doing this until they ultimately cook themselves to death. The same is with people. You will always have people trying to drag you down or keep you at their level. Your success will magnify their lack of success and force them to take a hard look at their own inadequacies. 

    You have to be able to block those people out and not listen to the negativity. At the end of the day, if they aren't doing what you want to be doing on a 10x larger scale, then their opinion really doesn't matter. You might just be best to not talk about this kind of thing with them if it can be avoided, even if you are excited about it. 

    Easier with friends, relatives and kids than with spouses. 

  • Investor · Bay Shore, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    10y

    @Don Meinke - I sense that you are a visionary and your thinking is way above their myopic reach.

    Continue to do what you have been doing over the years and now in the twilight of your career.

    @Matt Motil gave an excellent analogy about the crabs.

    In retrospect, the fact of the matter is that it's good for you to be able to share those experiences with this community which embraces your REI mindset.

  • Sterling WhitePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 554 posts · 153 votes
    10y

    Agreed with @Matt Motilsimply you just have to keep your distance. @Don Meinkesounds as if they are "attempting" to look out for you from their point of view. However they don't dream the dreams you dream or see the vision you are working to achieve. 

    You deserve to go after your goals.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.