Stocks beat real estate over time?

Stocks beat real estate over time?

Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

I've been running the numbers and although real estate has been very attractive to me with leverage (I own 3 properties), running the numbers even with leverage real estate is not as attractive in the long run, because although you are earning higher CoC returns on leveraged real estate, the reality is the asset itself is eventually deleveraged once paid off, and it didn't appreciate in value as much as stocks would have over the same period. Over time, the advantage of leverage is removed, and you're left with an asset that barely kept pace with inflation. Even Seattle has been at 3-4% over the last 20+ years when averaged.

If I buy a 100K house that appreciates 3% over the long run (per study by famed economist who called the last crash, Robert Shiller), in 30 years I have 242,726.25 dollars. Not only is this a petty return, since it just keeps up with inflation, I got to pay for all kinds of repairs during that time.

Even if I Buy the house with leverage, due to the low appreciation rate, I'm still not earning that much. When you compare it with stocks:

100K invested in an index fund that earns 10% a year over 30 years, gives me: 1,744,940.22

To make it even worse, a 4% safe withdrawal rate for the actual value of what my assets would be in these two scenarios, I'm making about 900K a year in SWR eligible funds, compared to a paltry fraction of that with my real estate, which is ultimately a job. Even if we continue with the numbers for the above two scenarios, you are making $20,391 a year in profits after expenses (all rents and expenses adjusted for inflation of 3%) from the house being rented out, compared to what I could be making with the stocks $69,797

Am I wrong here? Was initially thinking real estate was the way to go, and it has certainly been good to me buying during the downturn, but I think I may be better off cashing out and putting 500+K to use in the market. Maybe not now, with the run up, but DCA over time.

1Reply
321 views

Most Popular Reply

Ned CareyPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
10y

Yes you are missing a key point. Income producing Real estate does just that - produces income which you have not figured into your equation. 

No your tenants and the cash flow pay for the repairs.

Real estate can, and I believe should, cash flow over 10% net after leverage. AND it also appreciates. The total IRR of real estate I think pretty easily beats stocks. How much it beasts stocks depends on many factors.

However real estate is very risky. That greater return comes with substantial risk to those that do not know and understand real estate.

See this reply in the discussion

78 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    I think something someone retired might consider with comparing one vs the other...is one can click a button, click another button years later and end up with a healthy return. During that period they were 100% off. When total time is factored this part might become as valuable as any return could be. It is not really an either or question but what fits best perhaps. I know retired guys taking out multi million loans to continue their REI investments via NNN, I am pretty sure they wish that was not part of their retirement plans. They are not complaining but just saying.

  • CPA · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Jack B. by you saying "I do my taxes myself in less time with a bigger refund" only further proves that your arguments are flawed and invalid. If you indeed understand the tax law (better than a CPA) like you claim, then you shouldn't receive a refund at all. You also shouldn't owe any money to the IRS - you should net out to $0 refunded/owed. Additionally, you talk about "refunds" which isn't your "tax liability" only further solidifying the fact that you tend to talk about things you do not understand. This is why I suggested you speak with a real estate CPA to get help and understand how taxes will affect your overall return.

    If you re-read my post, you will note that I said I started a business and earned a 1,000% return. I did not say that I earned that from a real estate investment, so I'm not sure where you pulled that from. I'd be happy to send over my redacted taxes come April 15th to show this to you.

    You are using appreciation as your "average return" number which is why you are continuously getting bad results in your modeling. Again, you are not modeling to the IRR. This is a huge flaw. Real estate investors do not earn "0.80%" on their investments, homeowners who don't understand real estate do.

    You are right in that your IRR (not average returns, IRR) will decay in real estate, but again flawed in thinking that there are not ways to reallocate capital into advantageous holdings, and further flawed in thinking that this is a big detractor from investing in real estate. If your IRR at the beginning of your hold period is 20%, that will beat the pants off your 10% market gains for a number of years.

    Average returns matter to unsophisticated investors who do not understand IRR. Average returns do not tell us the whole picture, and this is something most (all) sophisticated investors understand and why the IRR is important. Model the IRR and you will see what I'm talking about. Take it a step further and model the MIRR. And yes of course it models over the hold period... who invests their money without having a hold period in mind? Unsophisticated investors do.

    I don't think you understand what management decisions mean in an investment. Asset positioning is a powerful strategy that *surprise* the rich utilize often to build their wealth. Asset positioning can only be done by those who have the ability to make management decisions. You investing in an index fund or the stock market gives you no more or less power than a three year old who received gifted shares for Christmas.

    I'm sorry you don't understand my networking comment.

    Warren Buffet benefited from low tech year - he knew stocks were undervalued before everyone else. Nowadays, access to information has taken away that advantage, for the most part. Buffet also owns hundreds of millions in real estate investments.

    Good luck in your stock picking.  

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:
    ...over the long run, real estate appreciates .8%, far less than I used in my calculations.

    Furthermore, your returns in real estate will be higher than stocks in the SHORT term, but lower in the LONG term. The longer you hold RE, the lower your return becomes.

    First, I've made a lot of money in real estate and exactly $0 of it has been from appreciation.  Appreciation in real estate about keeps pace with inflation (assuming large samples over diverse geographic areas), so the average real estate investor makes no money from real estate based on appreciation.  And those that do are often luckier than they are smart.  Not saying there aren't places where appreciation will outpace inflation, but those are in the minority.

    So, if you just want to compare stock investing to real estate inflation, you win that argument (as I said above). 

    But, I don't believe that any serious real estate investors here are making that comparison.  Again, I imagine very few people here are buying at market value, holding with no cash flow for long periods of time, and then selling.  If they are, they are very bad investors.

    As for your comment, "The longer you hold RE, the lower your return becomes," that's generally true. But, that's typically because the short-term IRR numbers from buying below market are unsustainable -- personally, I see 50-100% returns when I flip...holding longer will necessarily reduce those returns. But, even long-term returns from real estate -- which are typically 10-20% depending on location and leverage -- tend to beat the 6-8% you'll see from a diversified portfolio.

    Look, this argument is a lot simpler than most are making it out to be.  A diversified stock portfolio will return 6-8% long-term.  If you want to argue that that's a better alternative than real estate, what you're essentially arguing is that real estate returns LESS than 6-8% long-term.  

    For most investors, that's not true.  But, for any real estate investor who is returning less than 6-8%, they are probably in the wrong business anyway, and should put their money into a something else.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Everyone should consider this these days....some very smart RE investors even combine the two. 1/3 of global production is tech, and one 1/3 of that is in San Fran/ San Jose. Hello double whammy!

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @J Scott

    As I said before capital gains tax is a tax on inflation, and the longer you own a property the more of appreciation is inflation.

    The capital gains tax should be indexed to inflation if it is to be fair, would you agree @Brandon Hall CPA?  Other wise it is a tax on inflation and not pure appreciation.

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Realistically the stock market over time beats the real estate market over time as a whole (for obvious reasons). Realistic stock market return over decades is in the range of 6-8% pre-inflation vs real estate at 3%. Also, it's difficult to beat that return unless you are in micro-caps and involved in either takeovers or in a very direct time-consuming way (much more time-consuming than real estate). 

    On the flip side, although real estate only grows at the inflation rate, it is a much smaller market and it's much easier to beat the averages. Also, it is true that leverage helps but this is a dangerous way to look at returns. The number of real estate investors that are able to navigate through multiple recessions with heavy leverage is much less than the Bigger Pockets forum would have you believe. Especially when you are dealing with larger asset:income ratio situations, stocks are significantly safer unleveraged than real estate (worst case 50-70% drawdown vs complete wipe-out of assets). For example, if you have $5m and want to invest, it may not be wise to take 4:1 leverage with a $100k per month note unless you have personal income in that range or beyond. I would bet that a large number of investors in this forum could not afford to pay of all of their notes without their renters paying it off. During severe recessions, a lot of people get wiped out. Trust that the above stated IRRs do not include those individuals and there is significant survivorship bias as a result. 

    Also, keep in mind, you can always leverage stock returns as well by taking margin debt although the risks there are significant. 

  • Lender · Fort Pierce, FL · Member since 2009 · 825 posts · 486 votes
    10y

    I have ZERO desire to get dragged into another debate on stocks versus real estate.

    Each asset class is ***different***.  With real estate, the investor has a lot of control via decision making.  With stocks (and other financial assets) the investor has a lot more liquidity.

    The trouble with a lot of this discussion is that many comments are based on which asset class gives "the highest return" while ignoring other factors (volatility and liquidity and ability to leverage being just three).  The largest number (on a spreadsheet) ***wins***.  Except the real world is never found on a spread sheet.  Real world investments have to look forward basically ignoring past track records.

    If anyone wants to compare stocks and real estate then put them on an equal basis.  Require real estate investment to have the same reporting requirements (quarterly income statements etc and adverse event notification) as stocks do.  Trade the real estate investments daily (even though stocks trade in thousands or millions of units EVERY MINUTE)  By trading, the RE investor must sell the investment (in part or whole) and no longer have any claim on that SHARE of the investment .... and then be able to buy it back.  I guess that does not work so well when a sale (purchase) requires meeting at a closing table with a title company and others.  Or dig into a large number or private companies and their financials .... but then they would not be private.

    Bottom line: each investment is different.

  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 663 posts · 512 votes
    10y

    @Jack B.

    Regarding your guess that the S&P 500 has a yield of 3.26% is incorrect.  In fact the factual data on the S%P 500 has been calculated many a times over.   Just go to this website: http://politicalcalculations.blogspot.com/2006/12/...

    and you'll see that if you take an example of January 1940 until the present the S&P 500 Index Rate of Return with dividends reinvested is 10.91%.  In fact the S&P 500 historical average is 11%.  Also you have to remember that the rule of 72 states that on average every 7 years your money will double so long as your invested in the S&P 500.   

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    For those that are interested you should see the parallel thread for this on Mr. Money Moustache.  I pointed out some of the same things on that forum in predecessor thread to the main one the OP has now started there.  

    Pretty much most of the main arguments I would spend pages writing have been written already above.  I agree with others that we're really comparing apples and oranges in many responses.  Here are some salient points to consider though:

    1.  Real estate investing needs to be defined for this discussion to have any meaning.  Fix-and-flipping, real estate development, etc. are jobs and the accurate unit of measure should be dollars returned per unit of time because it is impossible to value your time properly.  Many people are really buying themselves a job when they "invest" in real estate.  There is nothing wrong with this, but comparing this form of investing to investing in passive index funds like VSTMX provided little in the way of clarity as to which one is dominant

    2.  Real estate or other small businesses can be actively managed in most cases where large companies cannot be by the average investor.  Warren Buffett and Carl Ichan have the capacity to actively manage businesses both large and small as do the M&A departments for big companies

    3.  As others have stated given the lack of liquidity in many real estate projects one can often find assets that trade well below market value.  This is much harder to do with publicly-traded securities with supercomputers doing high frequency trading.  The latter markets are orders of magnitude more efficient than the former ones and thus arbitrage opportunities are not accessible for the average investor

    4.  The time value of money matters.  If you buy real estate at an extreme discount the best way to optimize your return is generally to sell as quickly as possible.  The "optimal sell year" may disagree with your overall goals as an investor though.  There is generally a tradeoff between return metrics, cash flow, dollars the project delivers, and time to invest in projects.  What is best for one investor may not be the best selection for another investor because they're trying to optimize different things

    Residential real estate investing has very low real yields because you're competing with owner occupants for the same assets in most situations.  Forced appreciation is generally highly correlated with active management, some time component that resembles a job, or both.  Thus you need to blend time spend and active management with simplistic discounted cash flow analysis to see which vehicle is "better."  Better ultimately depends on your access to deal flow, skill in actively managing projects, financing ability, and overall goals with your investments.

    To the OP....It is not uncommon for folks on BP to achieve in excess of 20% returns on their portfolio year over year.  I have averaged 19.7% geometric returns over the last 11 years of investing.  This metric includes the energy I have devoted to actively managing a pretty complicated business.  We'd then need to debate what value my time had over those 11 years and what the opportunity costs were, back that out, and compare it to a passive index fund to see who was "right" about your original question.  Everyone has different goals, skills, abilities, initial conditions, etc.  That is why it is called PERSONAL finance and you can't simply turn it into a math problem to see who "wins" the argument.  The answer is different for each person.

    Anyway....I'm tired of typing.  Others can make whatever points haven't been made.  

  • Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
    10y

    Jack B. I'm going to agree with you because while I could give examples that show the opposite by a wide margin, it won't change your mind as it is clear that you have performed the most detailed of analysis. I will go a step further and encourage you to spread the word. However this might not be the best forum to achieve success. I recommend that you develop a very clear and detailed compilation of all the relevant data to support your thesis. Send it to me for review and revision for clarification purpose. Then I will fly you out to my town and I will have a list of local property owners that you can that you can refine your pitch on. All you have to do for me is give these specific property owners my card. Tell them that, I am a fool who can't see the facts that you have so clearly presented and will take the lose assets they have off their hands in quick fashion. Good luck, I'll be waiting :)

  • Real Estate Broker · Johns Creek, GA · Member since 2009 · 870 posts · 664 votes
    10y

    @Steve Vaughan

    Thanks for mentioning me. I don't think the question should be if stocks will beat real estate over time as I believe there is a place for both asset class in one's overall portfolio. 

    I don't believe in having 90% of your net worth tied up in stocks nor do I believe in having 90% of your net worth tied up in real estate. Unlike most wealth managers and financial advisors who believe that stocks should be the foundation of one's wealth management process, I believe that real estate should be the foundation of one's portfolio. Looking at a portfolio from a holistic point of view, The ideal allocation I like is 50% real estate, 30% your own business/investing in private businesses, and 20% stocks.

    That said, without leverage, the S&P 500 will generally out perform the real estate market in the LA and Atlanta as your can see from my chart below.

    I also agree with @ J Scott that you must specialize and focus, rather than diversify. This is also the investing wisdom from success investors whom I admire.

    if you get an "A" in Algebra and Biology in high school, but get an "F" in 5 other subjects, your GPA would be horrible and most decent colleges would not accept you, however this is not the case when you investing in real estate or the financial markets. If you can master one or two things and do them very well, you can fail in everything else, and you can still become an extraordinary investor. This is what I call the "The law of concentration"

    One of the key skills you need possess as an investor is to know when an asset is cheap or overvalued rather it be in real estate or stocks and know where we are in the macro economic cycle. For example, I have mentioned before that the stock market shifts from bear market to a bull market cycle every 18 years since the inception of the DOW jones in 1897. There were only two time frames where the PE ratio of the S&P 500 is more overvalued than today. One time is the peak of 1929 right before the great depression crash where the PE ratio was at 33x and 15 years ago where the PE ratio was sitting at 44x.

    The last longest bull market in last 100 years in the S&P 500 was between Feb 1995 - 2000 which lasted close to 70 months. One can count the months from the March 2009 to see where are today.

  • Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 997 votes
    10y

    LOL - you guys are spending so much time and energy on this.  and for what?!?!?  

    to win an unwinnable argument?   

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    It is definitely an unwinnable argument with the OP @Jack B. but a fun discussion nonetheless.  I think I'll go to a Fidelity or Vanguard or CNBC/Wall Street forum of paper asset junkies and tell them real estate is better!  Kick that hornets nest!

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Schwed said is so succinctly: "When there is a stock-market boom, and everyone is scrambling for common stocks, take all your common stocks and sell them. Take the proceeds and buy conservative bonds...just wait for the depression...sell out the bonds...and buy back the stocks....Continue to repeat this operation as long as you live, and you'll have the pleasure of dying rich."

    After 40 years & an early retirement my marina of 'land Yachts' are free & clear & generate significant double digit 'passive' income, without the sleepless nights questioning the decision to entrust my wealth to the hype of a manipulated commission based equities market. 

    'To each their own!', satis dictum.

  • Visalia-Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 863 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @J Scott:
    Originally posted by @Franklin Romine:
    You want a diversification of assets.... a few vegetables, beer, meat, snacks, water, milk, etc....

    I personally don't want diversification.

    I want control.  And diversification is the enemy of control.

    Wealthy people tend not to be very diversified...that's how they became wealthy.  They specialized in one asset class that they could meticulously control -- a business, real estate, intellectual property, etc.

    Diversification is great when you don't the knowledge, time, inclination and/or experience to specialize.

     I want multiple flows of income.  Some related and some non related.  Diversification is a loose word.  My types and sources of real estate debt is diversified.  

  • Investor · Hattiesburg, MS · Member since 2014 · 280 posts · 98 votes
    10y

    @jack b.

    Quick answer, on my typical buy of houses, I buy at half price and then within 7 years will have received enough in rent to pay for them, so I have tripled my money, that beats the stockmarket and eliminates the rollercoaster ride!!!

    On tax liens the time to triple is closer to six years, depending on how many maturities!

  • Fairborn, OH · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    This has not been posted in for a while, so hopefully some of you will see this reply. I joined Bigger pockets just to post on this forum lol... 

    Everyone here fails to mention one thing, you will make A LOT more money in stock than you ever could in real estate if you have the money to invest. Real estate is a safer investment than stock, and although that means stocks are a risky investment you can definitely make a lot more money than you could ever dream in real estate if you already have at least 1 million in liquid cash. 

    For a quick example, I bought some BP shares two months ago when they were trading at $33.35 a share, I knew this was near the bottom, there was a lot of good news for the company ahead, they were talking about all the things they are planning on doing to cut billions of dollars a year and still be really profitable, so I knew this was a good company and if it gets in the $33 range again I will up my position. I only bought a few shares as I'm not very rich, but let's have a hypothetical situation where someone puts 75% of his net worth in a company because he truly believes in it ( Warren Buffett did this with Geico even when others disapproved of it. He truly believed in it. ) So your net worth is 1 million dollars, so you invested $750,000 when it was trading for $33.35 like I did. 

    That's 22,488 shares for $750,000, BP's ex dividend date was May 10th, so you're also going to receive a nice dividend payment of $13,492 ( for doing nothing ) now let's say you didn't want to collect anymore dividends after this and decided to sell when it was near the top ( $36.80-$36.96 ) 

    22,488 shares x $36.87 = $829,132 + $13,492 = 842,624 = $92,624 in profit in 2 months. 

    Can you do that with real estate? sure, with a lot of work, here you literally did nothing but wake up every day and check your shares. 

    Another quick example was February last year I wanted to buy MRO shares when they were hitting the sub $7 range, I watched the day it was at its lowest at $6.73, I was broke back then and dealing with terrible tenants in a rental property, paying child support and everything else and I was lucky to have 2 cents in my bank account ( not exaggerating, getting rid of my duplex was the best thing that ever happened to me ) But I wanted to buy MRO then, I was trying to get money together and even trying to get a loan from my mom. I'll use a similar scenario though

    Invest $300,000 in MRO at $6.85 a share 43,795 shares in February, sell it two months later for $14.15 ( not the peak ) = $619,708

    Can you do this with real estate in 2 months with $300,000? Stocks are better if you have money, I am getting to money through real estate and then I will deal with stocks a lot more when I have more money, but right now with the amount of money I have real estate is the better option for me until I have 5 million I can risk and have a true portfolio.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 275 posts · 271 votes
    9y

    @Jack B.

    Unless there are many Mr. Warren Buffett out there there is no way reasonably that stocks can give you the numbers real estate can over a 5, 10 or 20 year period. 

    Assuming Zero appreciation and with out taking any tax advantage or depreciation into consideration. 

    At least in the Chicago market. On a portfolio of 160+ properties just the cash flow alone and subtracting all the property management expenses and repairs as well as tenants that may not have paid. You can create a consistent cash on cash return of over 20% with equity position in properties of 30% + across the board. 

    From what little I know the Seattle is a very expensive market and decent cash flow is very tough. At least in the Chicago area the returns are very sold with huge equity at the time of purchase. 

    Now mind you since real estate investing is what we do full time our numbers may be far different that average investors but I know I could never even come close to the numbers we can do with very little risk in real estate as opposed to the stock market. 

    Just my personal opinion. 

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    @Jerry Noe you logic does not hold. You are comparing a couple of specific theoretical examples, with general returns in real estate. Your specific examples are not typical of the stock market. For every example you can give of those kinds or returns I can give examples of the reverse. 

    Even if you could say that you have been able to do those kinds of trades on every deal you have done, that would not be because the stock market provides better returns, that would be due to your extremely rare skill in picking stocks.

  • Fairborn, OH · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I can show you tons of examples of these, and of course there are examples of stocks falling like Autozone did the other day. But 95% of the big companies you look at are up big time from 2012. McDonald's, Burger king, Walmart, even eBay.

    Am I good at picking stocks and lucky? I am like any other investor, I recently bought shares in Tractor Supply (TSCO) and right now I am down as my average purchase was $56.38 per share but I do think TSCO is heading back towards the $60 range. It's a low debt company with high profits. I only see positive things for TSCO in the future and I'd gladly make it 20% of my portfolio even though right now I'm looking at a loss. 

    Wal-mart a year and a half ago was trading in the $58 range, eBay was in the $22 range, now WMT is $78.xx and eBay is $34-$35. For that matter though Coca Cola ( KO ) is a company I would've gladly put $250,000 in it if I had it in February ( $40.44 ) You don't have to be Warren Buffett to see what stocks he picks and loves, KO being one of them. You can follow his footsteps and know you're making a wise decision based on his decisions.

    KO in February $250,000 - 6,181 shares - March 13th Ex dividend date - $2,287 dollars - Sell today for $45.39 = $280,555 + $2,287 = $282,842

    So sure you could probably make $32,842 profit in real estate in 3 months, but you will have A LOT more work to do besides waking up every day and eating a sandwich and watching family guy. Also you have to understand that Coca Cola is a low risk stock. I was in Peru back in March when landslides happened all over Lima and literally every water and soda bottle on the shelves sold out and while Peru is just a small market of KO's overall market, the fact was they literally couldn't keep any water bottle or soda bottle on the shelves because people were scared and when people get scared they buy up everything. So it did bump their sales probably a few million this quarter than they would've reported otherwise. So for this reason back in March I did invest in some KO stock and I've seen my profit. 

    I stand by, stocks are a riskier investment than real estate, you can lose money quickly, TSCO was down to $52.97 a share the other day and when you own 150 shares that you bought at $56.38 a share, I quickly saw a loss of over $500 but as I said in the beginning, I think TSCO will come back in the $60 range and give me a decent profit. I'll report back when that happens :P in the meantime, stocks riskier, real estate safer, but if you HAVE money you can earn more money in stocks than you ever could dream of in real estate with a lot less work.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jerry Noe:
    ...stocks riskier, real estate safer, but if you HAVE money you can earn more money in stocks than you ever could dream of in real estate with a lot less work.

     I love how you take a couple historical examples and extrapolate them into generalized statements about which investing strategies are best...

    You know, if you would have invested $100 in bitcoin 8 years ago, it would be worth $70M today.  Using your logic, investing in bitcoin is many thousands of times more profitable than investing in stocks.

    Why aren't you putting every penny you have into bitcoin when I just provided an example of how much more lucrative bitcoin is than stocks?

  • Fairborn, OH · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I found Bitcoin in 2012 when it was trading for $12-$13 a coin, I investigated it and believed it was a fad that would fall out real soon. I studied it for about 4 hours and I didn't think it'd ever get where it is today. I still believe it is a fad though and will not last. ( Which is why I'm not buying any at these ridiculous prices ) In 2013 I saw it shoot from what I could've purchased in at $12-13 a coin to over $1,000 of course this peaked my interest ( and my anger ) I looked into buying mining machines and kept reading articles to see if it was worth my time to try to mine bitcoin to get them for "free" basically, I decided against it as the initial investment was high and return wasn't good enough as it was in the 2009-2010 era of bitcoin. So I kept watching it crash periodically over the next year until I just stopped checking the prices for a few months, I checked back sometime in early 2015 to see Bitcoin in the low $200's which I laughed and closed the page and said total fad, it's dying quick. When you see something go from $1,200 to $200 you think it's over and it'll never come back. 

    Then of course like anyone else in the investing world 2017 comes with a roar and bitcoin is everywhere, I sat and watched it a few months back go from $1060 to $997 in literally 40 minutes. The price of bitcoin is way too volatile for me to EVER be interested in it unless it was back in the $100-$200 range again. If I see it pop once more I might give in and buy 5 coins just for the hell of it, but I won't be spending 12 million dollars on two pizzas like Laszlo did. :P 

    In all honesty though, Bitcoin was invented to be an alt money, and it is not that. You can't use it as money and never will be able to unless it were to stabilize at a certain price point. I can't go buy a car with 15 bitcoin expecting it to be worth $2,400 a coin ( $36,000 ) and by the time I get to the dealership from leaving my house, picking out the car and signing the paper work. He looks at Bitcoin price and he says "Bitcoin fell $150 since this morning... you owe use $2,250 more for the car" Yeah sounds like a great idea. 

    Plus other benefits of bitcoin have been destroyed in recent years. In the beginning it was free to transfer bitcoin, which was one thing that made is attractive to investors as there was no middleman taking money like credit card companies taking a fee per transaction. This no longer exists, they DO take fees now.

    They thought Bitcoin was completely anonymous, all I need to say on that is silk road anyone? plus now the IRS getting records of every bitcoin trader to find out how many actually file taxes on their earnings? 

    In the end, I will stay away from bitcoin, any investment that can go from being worth 0.003 cents per coin to over $2,200 a coin ( and almost $3,000 at its peak before falling down ) is ridiculous. It's not a business, it has no real market cap, it doesn't pay dividends, it's not a company, it's not an investment. It's a joke currency that can be easily hacked and stolen from your Bitcoin wallets ( many have lost millions due to that alone ) 

    Now, you have your answer why I never invested in bitcoin and probably never will on a realistic level, sure there are people that believe Bitcoin will reach $100,000 per coin or more, those people are delusional. The more honest reality is, it'll crash below $1,000 again and stay there.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    9y
    All things being equal, stocks and real estate have provided same returns over a large period of time. Stocks tend to hover around 8-10% annual return over last 25-30 years and so does Real estate at 2-3% leveraged 75:25. With the right setup, you can practically avoid paying taxes with real estate but stocks come in at a respectable second with long term capital gains. Stocks are more volatile than real estate but also more liquid. Outliers/home runs tend to be bigger in stocks. Even with appreciation in CA/NY, it can't beat riding a FANG stock all the way to the top. On the other hand, base hits are a lot easier Real estate/value add opportunities. In all, stocks can help build wealth faster under right conditions but real estate is a more predictable way of building/maintaining it. RE is another asset class. Like any other investment, for average risk profile, do not over allocate.
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jerry Noe:
    Now, you have your answer why I never invested in bitcoin and probably never will on a realistic level, sure there are people that believe Bitcoin will reach $100,000 per coin or more, those people are delusional. The more honest reality is, it'll crash below $1,000 again and stay there.

    So, you've been wrong about Bitcoin several times over the past few years, but you're positive enough in your beliefs now that those who disagree with you are "delusional?"

    Based on this response, and your response above, I think you are overconfident in your trading abilities and your ability to predict the future, which is why you think stocks are more lucrative than real estate.  If you were more realistic about your abilities (for example, your mistakes around bitcoin), you might have a different perspective.

  • Fairborn, OH · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I'll stand by with what I said in the beginning, your net worth is less than 1 million? stick to real estate, net worth higher than 1 million? stocks or a mixture of both. Net worth above 10 million? I'd recommend just staying with stocks. There is more risk in stock, more money to be made ( as Warren Buffett has shown, show me one real estate investor with a net worth near Warren or Carl Icahn ) So if you have money and are confident in your picks I would suggest staying with stocks.

    For example, right now I am thinking of putting a decent position in Tanger Outlets ( SKT ) and I recommend anyone reading this to put at least 5% of their stock portfolio in SKT. It's a small risk due to the Amazon retail killing retail outlets ( although I think Amazon might be a fad ) It is trading way too high in value. In a recent interview with Buffett, they asked why he hasn't bought Amazon do you think it's overpriced, and his answer was basically "yes" and it is. When the economy goes down, the big dogs are the ones that are going to feel it first ( as seen in February 2016 ) 

    Anyway, SKT has a 5.2% dividend yield and they are planning a 120 million dollar stock repurchase because they also think their stock is undervalued. With a 5.2% dividend yield and with the actual value of their real estate holdings and their net income it is a great buy right now, definitely undervalued. It is a company "on sale". So it's not that I am a better stock picker than anyone else. 

    I let the big stock investors work for me, I watch what they are buying and why they are buying what they're buying and follow. Especially when I find out that company is "on sale" anyway... I'm human at the end of the day and I am not saying stocks are hands down "BETTER" than real estate. You can build beautiful wealth with both, but you have quicker high profits with bigger investments in stocks and less work to actually do. 

    Either way, I didn't come here to diss real estate because as I write this I have a guy laying floor in my bathroom on a flip I'm doing. So obviously I am doing real estate too and I see the returns on it as well. I just read over what everyone was saying on this article and no one mentioned at all that I read it is based on your net worth. I doubt Carl Icahn would bother flipping a house for cash, or buying rental properties because the extra $1,500 from 2 rentals would be more bothersome to him than beneficial. If he's not bringing in at least 1 billion a year I am sure Carl is pretty disappointed. Again, I'm not Carl or Buffett, but I'm looking at what is the best investment for your net worth in the end. My net worth now leads me towards real estate more because I'm not a multi millionaire. I hope to change that in the future, for now I am basically playing and learning stock as my entire stock portfolio is under $40,000 and not worth bragging about. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.