What would you do at 22?

What would you do at 22?

Commercial Property Manager/Facilities Manager · Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 187 posts · 41 votes

Hi BP,

I'm new to this site and though I've seen this question asked several times before I figured I could offer some new questions and get some new perspectives/experiences.

What would you do if you had $20k at age 22 (with what you know now; or are 22) in terms of real estate investing? Consider these facts/characteristics:

Bostonian, $9K in student loans, no rent expenses currently (living at home), not a really a spender (1 pair of sneakers and 2 jeans for contrast), living off of $200 every paycheck and fully employed with a salary.

My goal is to have 80% of my portfolio filled with rental properties while leaving the other 20% for capital projects. So I ask, given the description of the scenario (that I am in) that you'd be in with what I described, how would you spend your $20K? 

I am a huge reader so I've come across many terms but am in no way on the advanced level. Thanks in advance for your answers! 

0Reply
91 views

Most Popular Reply

Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 125 posts · 50 votes
10y
I would buy a fourplex with an FHA loan, live in one of the apartments and rent the other three. Let them lay down your mortgage while you save the cash flow to buy another property. 1 leads to 2, 2 leads to 4, 4 leads to 8......snowball...snowball.....
See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Commercial Property Manager/Facilities Manager · Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 187 posts · 41 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Craig Moore:

    Great answers everybody. I have one last question that could help me map out my direction. Just about how many properties is necessary to obtain at "minimum" $10K net profit per month?  @Michael Boyer @Michael McCormack  @Derek Patch

     More specifically, multi-family properties.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 107 posts · 47 votes
    10y

    I would definitely agree with what @Vanessa Vandervalk @Christopher Gill have mentioned. Learn as much as you can and network with the local players. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.