What would you do with $150k

What would you do with $150k

Lender · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2015 · 61 posts · 16 votes

I have a question for the community here. I'm going to state some perimeters to guide your answers. 

Imagine you're in your mid-20's, live in Scottsdale, no family, single, and unemployed. 

You do, however, have access to $150k in cash. 

Your knowledge base is low. Your network is minimal. Your experience is nonexistent. 

You would prefer to remain in Scottsdale but realize the market is saturated and the prices high. 

And finally, if your being honest, you're terrified and would absolutely be medically diagnosed with analysis paralysis. 

0Reply
105 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe VilleneuvePro Member
Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
10y

Invest in SE Michigan, and retire in 3 years 

See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    All you negative people telling that young guy not to stick it in the market! 100% wrong for you folks. Told you I would revisit this conversation in one year. And here I am! 

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Bammmmmm! Told you to stick it in the market last year near the bottom. That 150 would be over 200k today probably like 210 today 14 months later! Bammmmmmm!

    That was a huge buying opportunity in February 2016. Loved it!

    That's it? You went from $150k to $210k...a $60k increase in 14 months?...and all your money is tied up in that Stock right? So you spent $150k and got back $60k. My math says you're behind by $90k...not to mention the compounding effect based on how many times you could have reinvested that same $150k in REI.

    What's the word I'm looking for here,...uhhh....Bammm?!

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    Bammmm, so a year ago you said it was speculation to be in the stock market. Now a year later you're saying oh $60 grand is nothing. Come on man, you got to admit stock markets pretty sweet deal over the long term. I guess I'm a hedger because I've got half my wealth in real estate and half in the stock market and I can tell you that the stock market is a whole lot less work. Bammm! I gave you guys the bottom of the market in February 2016. And you didn't buy into it. Easy money that you didn't make it. Bammmm!
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Bammmm, so a year ago you said it was speculation to be in the stock market. Now a year later you're saying oh $60 grand is nothing. Come on man, you got to admit stock markets pretty sweet deal over the long term. I guess I'm a hedger because I've got half my wealth in real estate and half in the stock market and I can tell you that the stock market is a whole lot less work. Bammm! I gave you guys the bottom of the market in February 2016. And you didn't buy into it. Easy money that you didn't make it. Bammmm!

     You really don't get it do you.  All you did was make $60k over 14 months, and it cost you $150k to do it.  $60k is something, but not at the cost of 2.5 times what I got back...and over that long of a period too.

    Let me give you an analogy here.  When a bank offers you free checking, but in order to get it, you have to deposit $5,000 in the bank.  That's not free checking...it cost you $5k.

    Your $60k return, cost you $150k to get.

  • FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes
    9y

    I would either start flipping houses (after you've educated yourself), or put it in stocks and municipal bonds.

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    In the previous thread of mine I said I’d come back to revisit this thread in 12 months well it’s little bit more than 12 months. Now where is the S&P 500? It’s close to 3000. So everyone on this thread who said my advice was very risky well they were absolutely wrong. You have to know history to understand the future. I study history.
  • Investor · Kennedale, TX · Member since 2016 · 219 posts · 349 votes
    8y

    #1 priority would be to get a job.

    #2 read and research so you can increase your knowledge base

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    In the previous thread of mine I said I’d come back to revisit this thread in 12 months well it’s little bit more than 12 months. Now where is the S&P 500? It’s close to 3000. So everyone on this thread who said my advice was very risky well they were absolutely wrong. You have to know history to understand the future. I study history.

     I know history too...but I also know the present.  More importantly, I also know math.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    In the previous thread of mine I said I’d come back to revisit this thread in 12 months well it’s little bit more than 12 months. Now where is the S&P 500? It’s close to 3000. So everyone on this thread who said my advice was very risky well they were absolutely wrong. You have to know history to understand the future. I study history.

     Are you saying that history shows this all time record high in the stock market was going to happen...and that it will continue to rise even higher in all future years...and that you are going to base your investment strategy on the hysterical historical basis?

    When you get into the stock market, how much of that $150k (from this example) did you spend...meaning you no longer have liquid, and in order to get it liquid you would have to sell your stock shares to get it back, and thus would no longer be getting any returns from the stock market since you would be out of it?

    My math, and everyone else's math, then tells me that if I had "spent" that $150k in the stock market, and got a return of $60k after this year, I would still be $90k behind:  Spending $150k to make $60k means I spent a net of $90k.

    If I "flip my $150k" over the next year 3 times (1 time every 4 months), at a conservative 15% profit, I'm at a $67.5k total profit (since I keep getting my original cash back). 

    ...and the $150k has equal value, whether it is in your "stock"  equity, or my cash.  The difference is my "cash" has more power...the power of compounding.

    More important, you're missing the potential compounding effect.  If I reinvested the profits from the flips, I would end up with around $80k profit (cash) at years end...and I still have my original $150k, in cash, in my possession, to do with as I please.

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    ...

  • Specialist · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    7y
    @Christopher Davis I would pick up some quick reference books. Like how to buy real estate with little to no money down or the ABC of real estate investing only for relaxation. Outside of that look for foreclosures properties in your area and use the calc to determine cash flow and taxes and all that mess. Then use the brrr method super affective especially if you have cash on hand. And the fun part breath if you dont know where to start hit up bigger pockets like you have. or real estate investors in your area and chat with them. Its not as scary as you think. Its like riding a roller coaster after your over the first hump its exhilarating. And your still tied into your seat safetly just read and learn.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.