SF Bay Area Economic & RE Update (Ongoing)

SF Bay Area Economic & RE Update (Ongoing)

J. MartinPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes

I have organized what I believe to be some very valuable information and relationships about the economy and real estate, and will be posting updates about the San Francisco Bay Area marketplace here periodically. I studied a lot of economics in school, and they told me you can't predict real estate prices. ********!!!! Let's lay the groundwork... And a big thanks to @Account Closed for his mentorship and economic

There tends to be a strong relationship between changes in employment and changes in real estate prices. Real estate prices in the Bay tend to go up when unemployment is falling. And they tend to flatten or go down when unemployment is rising. This tends to happen in regular cycles.

The relationship between changes in employment and changes in real estate prices becomes more obvious when we look at percent change in employment, and the rate of change (second derivative, but don't get bogged down in the terminology..)

This is interesting because:
1) The relationship appears meaningful
2) You can see a deceleration in employment gains (lower growth rate) while real estate prices are still increasing (at a decreasing rate). In other words, you can see the slow down in growth before real estate prices flatten or drop.

Coming out of a recession, look how job growth goes from it's worst (about 5% job loss in worst year) to 2% job loss the next year, 0% the following year, then 2% gains, then 4-5% gains, then starts lessening again to 3%, 2.5%, and tends to drift back down towards 0% again, before going negative.. But you can also see that home price appreciation

starts slowing (although still appreciating) as job growth slows.

Now what if there were some sort of way to predict how employment was going to change..?

What if there were a more local index that showed the way the economy and employment is and will do? Turns out, there’s one of those too!!!

To me, the picture becomes more clear. In the SF and East Bay Area, employment gains, economic activity, and real estate price appreciation peaked in 2012, and has been on a decline since. If you look at the prior two cycles, you can see each of these indicators reach a peak during the middle of the cycle, then decelerate (grow at a decreasing rate) as the expansionary phase of the economic cycle comes to an end. You can see the leading index for CA, economic conditions for San Francisco – Oakland – Hayward , changes in employment, and real estate price appreciation all grow at decreasing rates, until they approach zero, as we go into a recession…. I’ll post more for Silicon Valley, San Jose, and Santa Clara later.

Do you disagree with me? Is this information valuable? Too little time frame? Meaningless? Stupid for thinking we can predict how real estate prices will change over an economic cycle? If it were this obvious or easy, wouldn’t everyone already have figure it out, and we wouldn’t be talking about efficient market hypothesis? Does this change your perspective on real estate price appreciation and its predictability?

19Reply
303 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y
Originally posted by @David S.:

@Account Closed. Thanks for the summary.

A $3M offer on a 14-unit building in "our market"....Surely, this cannot be located in the San Jose Bay area where you are located....Can you add any additional detail?

David,

I've been living and breathing real estate since 1999 and went all-in in 2009 when I recognized the opportunity. Thankfully my wife was supportive and gave me a thumb up to quit my W2 then. At the time, real estate was so cheap. I told people 2/1 condos in San Jose were being auctioned off at the courthouse steps for $117k-$135k. People looked at me like I was an idiot. These were selling for $400-$425k at the top of the market in 2006. Now, they're selling for $400-$450k a piece.

People have been giving me the same look when I tell them we buy 6 to 8-unit buildings for $1.2M in San Jose. @Johnson H. says I walk for millions. My partner and I hold hands and go for a walk in our market looking for buildings that need help. We write down the addresses, reach out to our agents and tell them to contact the owners. Then we submit our offers. We get deals here and there using this method. In fact, we're negotiating to buy a building with this method. Wife is ready to sell while husband is unsure of what to do with the proceeds.

@Bac Nguyen is correct. We only farm in one zip code. That is 95112. Our targeted markets are 2 blocks around SJSU and 1 block radius around Japantown. Anything between SJSU and Japantown is a tweener for us. We have passed on many tweener deals. In hindsight, they're great deals. @Account Closed, it's like direct marketing. You miss 100% shots that you don't take. That's what I remind Johnson. That's why I keep swinging. It's good to know that Wayne Gretzky said it. I like this quote of his just as much "A good player goes where the puck is while a great player goes where the puck will be."

This is MY QUOTE and I don't care who said it first. I came up with it a couple of weeks ago and installed it on my Tesla the day the frame came in. This has essentially been true with my life. Some of my friends believe I should be the "exclusive owner of the plate frame." I've ordered it for a few close friends and would love to give you one if you're interested. It's a good daily reminder IMO. 

Wife's sibling told me I should get DREAMER for my license plate. I may do just that. ;)

See this reply in the discussion

176 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2012 · 118 posts · 121 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Sandeep S.:

    Great analysis @Account Closed.  I love the effort you and @J. Martin put for compiling and presenting the data! 

    Looking at these charts, I have always wondered is that the 2001 can be viewed  as "a blip" for bay area RE market instead of a recession (like 1991 and 2007).  It was only SF and SV market that got affected in 2001.  And if we ignore the blip - the expansionary cycle lasted all the way from 1995 to 2007 (13 years!).  While it is a risky thought - but what if the current cycle lasts also 10-13 years with one blip on the way.  (and that "blip" could be happening right now!).  

    While a risky thought - but if this alternative theory turns out true - we may not see serious bay area wide correction until after 2022.   Just a thought...  

    Sandeep,

    I love your line of thinking. Although I was not a full blown full-time REI at the time, I was living and breathing RE on a regular basis back then so I remember it vividly. I even modeled it out: If it weren't for 9/11, which likely caused the recession, where would the recession have likely started and my conclusion at the time was 2003.

    What saved the housing market at the time was that Alan Greenspan cut rates to 1%. Bay Area folks were terrified of the stock market so the money went into real estate. A lot of money that were already made from the Tech 1.0 was still sloshing around looking for yields. Refinancing to lower mortgage payments created another round of liquidity. Then funny lending went into gear around 2004 and took the market to another level.

    This time around, it has a very similar feel to the Tech 1.0 time frame so I'm preparing myself for both scenarios, a blip 10-15% correction or a longer 20-25% correction. I'm stress-testing our portfolio for both scenarios, and we're setting aside $500k in case the latter scenario becomes a reality. 

    If you believe in the 18-year biz cycle theory, we can definitely hit a blip in the next year or so, then resume the uptrend till 2024. I'm listening to the market and preparing for different scenarios.

    Minh - completely agree with you that the smart thing to do is to prepare for either scenario: whether a <10% blip or a major correction > 20%.  

    I am betting more on the blip though :)

  • Oakland, CA · Member since 2017 · 133 posts · 58 votes
    9y

    I have the same thought as @Sandeep S., "Bet more on the blip".  

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Sandeep S. and @Account Closed,

    And I'm not going to bet against that.  I hope you both are right as we're in the middle of negotiating to buy another building in our market this year. This market is definitely not for newbies without a niche IMO.

    The rationalization for 25-30% correction is this. Say rents would drop 10-15%. Also, the cap rate would go up 100 bps or so. When you combine these two factors, you can get a 25-30% discount from today's prices. However, if we can get something with a 20-25% discount now, we're still going to buy. Hope that makes sense, and I don't sound like a hypocrite for saying to wait while I'm still buying. 😁

  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 338 posts · 444 votes
    9y

    @J. Martin, @Account Closed

    Follow on question, for the posters here.

    What do you think of the folks who are actually selling everything and sitting on the sidelines? Are any of you doing that? I don't completely understand the rationale - but there does seem to be a reasonable number of people choosing that path. Seems to me it's like taking a 15%-20% hit now from taxes for the sake of predictability, and they are banking on being able to enter the market again at a low point from which they can outpace the people who held on.

    One thing I've been asking myself is how much cash I would need to have on hand in order to buy my way out of the next recession/dip. So, assuming my existing portfolio takes a 10%-25% hit, how much money would I need to average out my losses by buying into the next up-cycle, and how long will I have to stay liquid for?

  • Real Estate Broker · Redwood City, CA · Member since 2014 · 679 posts · 888 votes
    9y

    This is an interesting discussion.

    I have thought about this in a similar fashion, with just common sense, no data to backup;

    Residential SFR;

    Stock, job, house price.

    Usually, house price will not fall unless some owner have to sell at a loss, quickly.

    REO is such an example. But normal individuals will not sell for a loss easily. But if they lose their job, they have to. Natural disasters might also be.

    Job numbers depend on overall economy, which might be related to stock.

    Stock must decline first, which means some company will close doors. A few months later,  A lot of people lose their job. People without job still have some benefits for a few months. After that, they would be late on mortgage.

    In my mind, if I see stock market crash, that is the first warning. Jobless number go up, 2nd warning. Whether that will actually translate into housing price, god knows.

    There might be some buying opportunities a few months later. May or may not be. Just a guess.

  • Oakland, CA · Member since 2017 · 133 posts · 58 votes
    9y
    In my local market, from time to time, I saw investors dump their portfolio. Around end of 2015, I saw an investor dumped all of his 70 properties. I bought 2 properties from him. Have had 35% appreciation on those 2 properties after bought from him. Around end of 2016, another investor sold all of his 50 properties, I bought 1 property from him, have had 20% appreciation on the one property after bought from him. Two months ago, another investor dump all of her 30 properties, I bought 1 property from her. Two month ago, another investor need to dump his 15 properties, asked me if I'm interested. I'm the type of person who like to plant all my rentals at my backyard within 5 minutes to 20 minutes distance. His properties are 45 minutes from my backyard, back and forth round trip would cost me 90 minutes. Too far away for me. I didn't buy any. He had it on MLS listing, 80% have been contingent in a short period of time. He told me he need cash to buy a large apartment buildings. To be honest with you, I'm holding all of my properties very tight; but it doesn't mean I won't sell it. I am currently looking for an apartment building within a short distance from my backyard. Once I found something I'm interested in, I will sell at least 10 of my properties to cash out trade for an apartment building. When an investor sold all of their properties, holding the cash is one option, but not necessarily the same option for all sellers. Some investors dump their portfolio, because they see a better opportunity somewhere else to park their money such as buying a larger size of an apartment building. :)
  • Oakland, CA · Member since 2017 · 133 posts · 58 votes
    9y
    Yes, I'm still buying today. Currently, I have two deals in escrow, in the process of negotiating a 3rd property. :)
  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Robert C.:

    @J. Martin, @Account Closed

    Follow on question, for the posters here.

    What do you think of the folks who are actually selling everything and sitting on the sidelines? Are any of you doing that? I don't completely understand the rationale - but there does seem to be a reasonable number of people choosing that path. Seems to me it's like taking a 15%-20% hit now from taxes for the sake of predictability, and they are banking on being able to enter the market again at a low point from which they can outpace the people who held on.

    One thing I've been asking myself is how much cash I would need to have on hand in order to buy my way out of the next recession/dip. So, assuming my existing portfolio takes a 10%-25% hit, how much money would I need to average out my losses by buying into the next up-cycle, and how long will I have to stay liquid for?

     I hear you on not selling everything and sitting on the sidelines. 
    I don't think we're anywhere near that stretched. 

    I have not sold any of my properties I own in the SF Bay Area. If I do think about selling, I look at the potential net proceeds, minus any prop-13 tax basis loss, as a proxy for the net value of what I might sell. If I would buy it for that much today, then I don't sell it. There are some other influences. But I agree that taking a 15%+ tax hit today, to try to deploy it again at exactly the right time, is a rough strategy. Maybe it goes up another 15% before it drops back to today's level. 

    It's hard to call the TIMING of an exact top or bottom. 
    But I don't think it's as difficult to tell if we're in the early or late stages of an economic expansion. I'm not trying to pick the right day or week. But maybe the right season. 

    Nice to have a large bucket on hand if it starts raining a bit ;)

  • Investor · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2012 · 118 posts · 121 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @J. Martin:
    Originally posted by @Robert C.:

    @J. Martin, @Account Closed

    Follow on question, for the posters here.

    What do you think of the folks who are actually selling everything and sitting on the sidelines? Are any of you doing that? I don't completely understand the rationale - but there does seem to be a reasonable number of people choosing that path. Seems to me it's like taking a 15%-20% hit now from taxes for the sake of predictability, and they are banking on being able to enter the market again at a low point from which they can outpace the people who held on.

    One thing I've been asking myself is how much cash I would need to have on hand in order to buy my way out of the next recession/dip. So, assuming my existing portfolio takes a 10%-25% hit, how much money would I need to average out my losses by buying into the next up-cycle, and how long will I have to stay liquid for?

     I hear you on not selling everything and sitting on the sidelines. 
    I don't think we're anywhere near that stretched. 

    I have not sold any of my properties I own in the SF Bay Area. If I do think about selling, I look at the potential net proceeds, minus any prop-13 tax basis loss, as a proxy for the net value of what I might sell. If I would buy it for that much today, then I don't sell it. There are some other influences. But I agree that taking a 15%+ tax hit today, to try to deploy it again at exactly the right time, is a rough strategy. Maybe it goes up another 15% before it drops back to today's level. 

    It's hard to call the TIMING of an exact top or bottom. 
    But I don't think it's as difficult to tell if we're in the early or late stages of an economic expansion. I'm not trying to pick the right day or week. But maybe the right season. 

    Nice to have a large bucket on hand if it starts raining a bit ;)

    Given that I am expecting only a blip - I haven't sold anything (at least not yet).  Paying income taxes, losing prop 13 basis, paying commissions - all of it doesn't make sense if it is going to be a small correction (that too difficult to time).  My current plan is to ride it out (unless prices get to crazier levels).  And just like Minh and others - I am still adding to my portfolio if I can buy at DISCOUNT.  And of course cash flowing.   Incidentally - I was able to buy 2 deals this month!  

    The one change I have done while buying now is that I have reduced my expectation of price growth in the next 5 years compared to before. And if a deal IRR can still meet my threshold - I would buy.

    I think I should now start accumulating some extra cash for the rough times :)

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Sandeep S.:
    Originally posted by @J. Martin:
    Originally posted by @Robert C.:

    @J. Martin, @Account Closed

    Follow on question, for the posters here.

    What do you think of the folks who are actually selling everything and sitting on the sidelines? Are any of you doing that? I don't completely understand the rationale - but there does seem to be a reasonable number of people choosing that path. Seems to me it's like taking a 15%-20% hit now from taxes for the sake of predictability, and they are banking on being able to enter the market again at a low point from which they can outpace the people who held on.

    One thing I've been asking myself is how much cash I would need to have on hand in order to buy my way out of the next recession/dip. So, assuming my existing portfolio takes a 10%-25% hit, how much money would I need to average out my losses by buying into the next up-cycle, and how long will I have to stay liquid for?

     I hear you on not selling everything and sitting on the sidelines. 
    I don't think we're anywhere near that stretched. 

    I have not sold any of my properties I own in the SF Bay Area. If I do think about selling, I look at the potential net proceeds, minus any prop-13 tax basis loss, as a proxy for the net value of what I might sell. If I would buy it for that much today, then I don't sell it. There are some other influences. But I agree that taking a 15%+ tax hit today, to try to deploy it again at exactly the right time, is a rough strategy. Maybe it goes up another 15% before it drops back to today's level. 

    It's hard to call the TIMING of an exact top or bottom. 
    But I don't think it's as difficult to tell if we're in the early or late stages of an economic expansion. I'm not trying to pick the right day or week. But maybe the right season. 

    Nice to have a large bucket on hand if it starts raining a bit ;)

    Given that I am expecting only a blip - I haven't sold anything (at least not yet).  Paying income taxes, losing prop 13 basis, paying commissions - all of it doesn't make sense if it is going to be a small correction (that too difficult to time).  My current plan is to ride it out (unless prices get to crazier levels).  And just like Minh and others - I am still adding to my portfolio if I can buy at DISCOUNT.  And of course cash flowing.   Incidentally - I was able to buy 2 deals this month!  

    The one change I have done while buying now is that I have reduced my expectation of price growth in the next 5 years compared to before. And if a deal IRR can still meet my threshold - I would buy.

    I think I should now start accumulating some extra cash for the rough times :)

    "I think I should now start accumulating some extra cash for the rough times :)"
    - Sandeep

    “Every decade or so, dark clouds will fill the economic skies, and they will briefly rain gold. When downpours of that sort occur, it's imperative that we rush outdoors carrying washtubs, not teaspoons. And that we will do. ...be prepared mentally and financially to act fast when opportunities present themselves..."

    - Warren Buffet, 2017 Berkshire Letter

    I think I'm going to be a little more flexible where I look for and take advantage of those dark skies the next time around. But good to have those washtubs available ;)  As Minh said it, letting the market tell you what it wants ;)

  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 338 posts · 444 votes
    9y

    @J. Martin, It sounds like Warren Buffet was talking about 2008! And it seems like the people here filled some pretty good sized buckets. 

    It's kind of nice to hear other people are thinking similar things. Good to have a sanity check. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 114 posts · 54 votes
    9y

    Boy oh boy..We have been waiting for this so called recession since 2015, arent' we? Way too many people are hoping or waiting for the next recession and when that is the case it just not going to happen. Guess why, because when so many people are being cautious, it gets factored into overall system and it stabilizes. It will take a whole lot more people to be in that "irrational exuberance" bucket to unbalance the economy, unless of course a major event on geo-political level (such as N. Korea waging a war against Japanese etc) or a natural disaster throws the whole economy into a tail spin. my 2 cents.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Rich Lopes:

    Boy oh boy..We have been waiting for this so called recession since 2015, arent' we? Way too many people are hoping or waiting for the next recession and when that is the case it just not going to happen. Guess why, because when so many people are being cautious, it gets factored into overall system and it stabilizes. It will take a whole lot more people to be in that "irrational exuberance" bucket to unbalance the economy, unless of course a major event on geo-political level (such as N. Korea waging a war against Japanese etc) or a natural disaster throws the whole economy into a tail spin. my 2 cents.

    "Way too many people are hoping or waiting for the next recession and when that is the case it just not going to happen."

    Rich, recessions are a natural part of the economic landscape. Take a look at this graph for the past 70 years. 
    Whether or not investors know there is a recession in the future does not prevent it from taking place. (the grey vertical lines are recessions.)

    As @Account Closed likes to say,

    "History doesn't always repeat itself. But it rhymes."

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 114 posts · 54 votes
    9y

    J.Martin, I couldn't agree more with you on the fact that recession is indeed a natural economic cycle but  the point I am to drive home is it's just take a lot more people to be overly optimistic and one side of spectrum to tip the scale IMHO. And this will happen as more and more people who are on the sidelines start dipping their toes :). 

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Rich Lopes:

    J.Martin, I couldn't agree more with you on the fact that recession is indeed a natural economic cycle but  the point I am to drive home is it's just take a lot more people to be overly optimistic and one side of spectrum to tip the scale IMHO. And this will happen as more and more people who are on the sidelines start dipping their toes :). 

     I see what you're saying Rich. 
    I think what you're referring to is the magnitude of price reversions in the next recession. Without a lot of "irrational exuberance" from the market, there is less risk on the downside - although a lack of exuberance will not prevent a recession from taking place. 

    My only slight difference in observation here is that people SAY there's risk and it's too expensive. BUT their ACTIONS tell another story. Prices are still going up (in the San Francisco Bay). Lots of new folks getting into the game. Still lots of home buyers in the Bay settling for what they can get into contract too, even if it doesn't meet their requirements, and it's $300K over list.. 

    I wouldn't call it a "healthy" market in the SF Bay. (An agent might, because prices are going up.) 
    But there is a growing lack of affordability, even across most Bay Area counties that have tended to be more affordable. 
    As that lack of affordability across counties tends to converge, it seems to be a sign that there is thinner and thinner support left in the market, as prices continue increasing..  causing some rent and price risk after over 5 years of double-digit price increases.. IMHO

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Robert C.:

    @J. Martin, @Account Closed, @Sandeep S.

    Follow on question, for the posters here.

    What do you think of the folks who are actually selling everything and sitting on the sidelines? Are any of you doing that? I don't completely understand the rationale - but there does seem to be a reasonable number of people choosing that path. Seems to me it's like taking a 15%-20% hit now from taxes for the sake of predictability, and they are banking on being able to enter the market again at a low point from which they can outpace the people who held on.

    One thing I've been asking myself is how much cash I would need to have on hand in order to buy my way out of the next recession/dip. So, assuming my existing portfolio takes a 10%-25% hit, how much money would I need to average out my losses by buying into the next up-cycle, and how long will I have to stay liquid for?

    Robert,

    Every person makes their own bet so I won't say it's right or wrong. Each investor will have to live with his/her decision. Only time will tell. I know I won't do it. I've sold something in 2015, 2016 and 2017. I've also bought something in 2015, 2016 and 2017. In general, I'll buy for the "right" price, and I'll sell for the "right" price regardless of where we are in the cycle of the market. 

    We stress test our portfolio regularly. My partner and I own 42 doors (50/50) and 12 doors with our investors. This doesn't include doors we own by ourselves independently. Our estimated cash flow is $165k/year for our 42 units after all expenses including 5% vacancy and $1,100/unit set aside for repairs, maintenance and capex in addition to everything else. Our average rent is $1667/unit. We still have $60k upside potential in rent due to a couple of handful units are still way below market rents of $400-$600/mo. Based on these numbers, we're breaking even if we have to cut rents 20% across the board.

    Given the fact that rents dropped 25% during the Tech 1.0 boom as shown on the chart above, my partner and I agreed to set $250k aside each for reserves to weather the storm. Why $500k? History has shown that peak to trough in real estate typically lasts 3-5 years. $500k should weather us at least 5 years should this recession turns out to be a bad one like the last. That's how we prepare for the next downturn. If it turns out to be a "blip", we'll gladly accept it. We're easy to please. Well, at least that was what my ex-girlfriend told me. ;)

    Just came back from lunch with our lender. We shared our sentiment with him over lunch and how we're preparing for it. He said we think like bankers. LOL! Thanks @Johnson H., you've trained me well. He said the last downturn wiped out a lot of folks due to the lack of reserves. He also shared with us the bank (Chase) perspectives in the current cycle of the market and what they're doing to minimize potential lending risks. He also invited us to a presentation on 10/10 at the Sheraton Hotel in Palo Alto to listen to a very successful real estate investor who owns $1.5B of MF real estate in the Bay Area, mainly Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties, to share his perspective. Should be an interesting one.

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Rich Lopes:

    J.Martin, I couldn't agree more with you on the fact that recession is indeed a natural economic cycle but  the point I am to drive home is it's just take a lot more people to be overly optimistic and one side of spectrum to tip the scale IMHO. And this will happen as more and more people who are on the sidelines start dipping their toes :). 

    Rich,

    It's always great to have a team member keeping us on our toes. If all team members are gungho, what out. This is why I really appreciate @Johnson H., he's constantly keeping me on my toes. I was counting on @J. Martin to keep me on my toes, but he's too busy chasing the ladies in Southeast Asia and enjoying life. He's living the life that everyman wants to live. ;)

  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 338 posts · 444 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed... THAT investor went from 2k-3k units to 5k-6k units (last I checked) during this cycle. It blows my mind! Makes me wish I had just been about 5 years wiser before I entered the market. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    sidelines

    1word

  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Hi all,

    Thanks so much for the awesome discussion in this thread! 

    I'm a newbie thinking of starting house-hacking in the bay area. I've been looking at some duplexes near downtown San Jose and was shocked by the high demand.

    Two questions to the more experienced investors here:

    1. The announcement of Google campus seems to have sent prices in the area up ~10% in the past three months. Is this area still a good investment opportunity at these levels for house hacking, especially given the consensus that a correction is coming in the next 12-18 months?

    2. What do you think the impact of foreign investors (especially Chinese investors) on the bay area RE during this coming recession/correction? I've heard more and more cash buyers from China are seeking safe heaven in the bay area because of the Chinese housing bubble and the 2015/2016 Chinese stock market crash. The thesis following, of course, is that these investors will keep demands and prices high even in a recession/correction.

    Would love to hear your thoughts!

  • Johnson H.Pro Member
    Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed - You give me too much credit. I just talk about what I have read and seen, its your choice whether you want to implement my words into actions or not. Don't give me any credit if I tell you to do something stupid either lol

    I'm almost done selling my portfolio of AZ properties that I started to accumulate in 2010. Although some of my properties have more than doubled in value, I have not seen much rent growth. I would not buy any of the properties I am selling today at the current prices and they are getting close to its 2006 values. The buyers are usually marginal, a big difference than what you see here in the bay area. I've been wanting to buy in the bay area and possibly 1031x but I got conservative way to early and been left in the dust. Now I have been paying the taxes on my gains and accumulating liquidity to have the most flexibility during the next correction which is a matter of when more than if and jump in with full conviction. Here are two quotes to support my cash position:

    “You can have all of the assets in the world you want, but if you have no liquidity it doesn’t matter.” “Liquidity equals value. At no time in my career has it ever been more clearly brought home to me than in the (2008)-09 period. If you had liquidity, you had value. … Everything comes down to liquidity, everything comes down to exit strategies, everything comes down to knowing when you get in how you are going to get out.” - Sam Zell

    “Consistent with everything else written above, we think of cash as a trump card that can be played any time. Holding a card in your hand that ranks above all others is a secret weapon in the competitive game for the best ideas at the best price, allowing us to gain an advantage.” - Warren Buffett 

    For those that are casual/passive investors in the bay area eager to buy investment property, I tell them there is nothing wrong with buying a house within 15 minutes away to have a free and clear property in 30 years that's easy to manage and in a great area. It is slow money, nothing sexy about it but it will secure a decent retirement income for your future with great peace of mind as you can easily drive by the property anytime you want. As old time bay area investors say, real estate in the bay area has ALWAYS been expensive. However, if you are looking to be active and create a large amount of wealth in a short amount of time it is not the right play and I completely understand that. 

    People are concerned about timing but the following chart always pops into my head with this question. Yes, there has been some dips in our market but it has always made higher highs and higher lows, it is a channel with a upward trend. If history repeats itself as it has shown four times already in this chart, than the future of bay area will build wealth for everyone owning in the right areas. I have to say right areas as there are still some areas of the bay area that are not at its 2006 highs and others than have blown right past it. I think we are getting close to the next correction and I hope to be able buy during the next correction and hold forever. 

    I'll end off with a few more quotes:

    “If everyone is going left, look right” - Sam Zell

    "Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own." - Baron Rothschild

    "Our elephant gun has been reloaded, and my trigger finger is itchy." Warren Buffett

  • Johnson H.Pro Member
    Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes
    9y

    @Rongsu Qi - It seems that Chinese investors have gotten spooked over the new capital controls. Unless it relaxes its hard to see huge demand from Chinese investors. The rich will always find a way to take out money of out the country but it sounds like its getting harder and harder for regular folks to do so. Take a read at this article here https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-06-22/the-100-billion-city-next-to-singapore-has-a-big-china-problem

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Robert C.:

    @Account Closed, Thanks for the response Minh Le. Would you mind if I ask where your overall LTV is?

    I think you're referring to Kari's team with Chase for the 10/10 forum right? Maybe I will see you there. I don't know if you've been, but it's actually quite informative, especially that gentleman you referred to. Interesting note - I've heard he may be be sitting on the sidelines now. Even if we all have our crystal balls, it does say something when big investors like that think the market is too frothy. 

    Going back to the Warren Buffet quote from @J. Martin... THAT investor went from 2k-3k units to 5k-6k units (last I checked) during this cycle. It blows my mind! Makes me wish I had just been about 5 years wiser before I entered the market. 

    Robert,

    I'm more conservative than most of you think. Current LTV on the apartment buildings is 56% based on the appraised value of $11.5M. I think we can get them for at least another $1M more if we sell them today. Thus, my partner and I intend to cash-out $1M of the the portfolio to bring it to 65% LTV. We currently have $350k in our operating accounts. Just add in a couple hundred grands to them from the cash-out and that should help us weather the downturn.

    Properties under my wife and my name is at 18% LTV. Our overall LTV is 38%. Our goal is to pay-off half of our portfolio and leverage the other half at 65% LTV or thereabout. It's not for everyone, but I believe it'll work for us.

    Just to put things in perspective for yield chasers out there. $1M is worth 6 years of cash flow at $165k/year, and we're getting it upfront. Our cash flow will go down to about $110k after the cash out. Assuming we didn't collect any more cash flow from our investments for the next 6 years, our bank accounts would have at least $660k worth of cash flow, and the tenants would pay down $900k in principal. That's $1.56M right there. This means we can get another $1M out of our investments in year 7. Rinse and repeat. That's the power of Bay Area real estate for you. Not only will you get your cash flow, you will also get to build wealth at the same time. You just have to be patient and look a little beyond Day 1 cash flow analysis and chase those OOS turkeys. There's a high chance that you will get fried. With Bay Area real estate, you can have your cake and eat it too.

    I'm bringing a couple of BP folks with me to the event. If we happen to bump into each other, I'll introduce you to my advisor @Johnson H. who has been a tremendous help to us. He may be young with a "cute" baby face, but he has extensive knowledge when it comes to CRE. Don't let that baby face fool you. Just like Stephen Curry. ;)

    Cheers!

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2014 · 730 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Honestly I would not mind a 20% price correction. Like most of the successful Bay Area investors on this forum, I have bought right, have reserves, and have huge buffers (in LTV and cash flow). Even if rents went down by 50%, I would still be cash flow positive.

    I am still actively buying, making several offers a week. When you underwrite deals at 25% cash on cash returns, it's hard to stop buying. I've been getting 30 year financing at 4.75% and have big cushions, so I don't see the risk. I see risk in buying something in Kansas City or Indianapolis, where you don't know anyone and relying on $100/door in cash flow to get you to retirement. 

  • Investor · Fremont, CA · Member since 2014 · 35 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    @J. Martin, @Account Closed, it is a delight reading through your insightful posts. 

    Minh, regarding your above quote, why do you think a recession would make liquidity hard to find? Going by past experiences, during the recession, doesn't the Fed go out of the way to keep interest rates low in order to create liquidity? Or you think this might be different this time.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.