To pay points, or not to pay points; that is the question

To pay points, or not to pay points; that is the question

Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 1 vote

Hi all, I am curious to your thoughts on when to pay points or maybe take a credit for a higher rate.  I ask because we are in the process of a cash out refi on an investment property with closing costs of about $2400(I exclude prepaid interest and funds for an escrow account).  The options being no points at 4.375% or get a get a credit to cover the closing costs of $2400, but take a rate of 4.75%.  The loan will be $170k 30y fixed.

More precisely my question, is do you simply look at the cash flow difference between the loan, or the extra interest on an amortization schedule to figure out the break even.  I ask because everyone I seem to talk to says the cash flow method which would be about $38/m making the break even point 63 months.  However I was trying to explain that the first month interest amount was $620 vs $673 for the higher rate making the difference $53 making the break even about 45 months and this is a truer way to view the cost of points/credits.  Note, I do understand that the monthly interest being paid will be increased each month, but the difference between the two rates should be about for the same for a period of time.

So, am I missing something with my logic, or is the cash flow difference is easier to explain and most people just care about the money out of their pocket each month.

Thanks in advance, Sean from Arizona

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
10y

I would focus on the benefits vs non-benefits of refinancing at all.  How much are you cashing out?  Is $2400 a large %?  I wouldn't pay $2400 to get $10k, for instance.  That's 24%!  

Is the cash out money going to propel your returns going forward? Could you save it up and not go through these fees and headaches altogether?

Is your current rate better than 4.375%?  Don't jump over common sense analyzing $38/mo in cash-flow too much @Sean Kruger.  Sometime no action is best in the long run.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    I would focus on the benefits vs non-benefits of refinancing at all.  How much are you cashing out?  Is $2400 a large %?  I wouldn't pay $2400 to get $10k, for instance.  That's 24%!  

    Is the cash out money going to propel your returns going forward? Could you save it up and not go through these fees and headaches altogether?

    Is your current rate better than 4.375%?  Don't jump over common sense analyzing $38/mo in cash-flow too much @Sean Kruger.  Sometime no action is best in the long run.

  • Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Steve Vaughan

    Thanks for your reply, that is an interesting take of the situation.  I should have mentioned the main reason for the refi is to get the property into a 30y fixed, the cash out is a might as well afterthought as the rate is essentially the same.  The current rate is slightly lower but not a 30yfixed, so we are paying more in interest to secure the low rate.

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Sean Kruger, you wrote: ..."I do understand that the monthly interest being paid will be increased each month"...

    Is that what happens? I always thought that the number of dollars devoted to interest DECREASED per month, however slightly. Did I miss something?

  • Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Brent Coombs

    My mistake, that was a late night typo. Good catch.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    @Sean Kruger- ok gotcha.  Makes more sense that you are also refinancing to obtain a fixed rate.  The answer for me would depend on how long I planned on holding the rental.  The longer the hold time, the more I'd be inclined to buy the lower rate.  You'll see the total interest paid difference in the am schedule.  It will be a lot over the whole term!  

    I may also talk to a different lender as well.  Is 4.375% the best rate out there?  Haven't borrowed in a while and actually don't know.  Good luck! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.