Converting Primary Residence into 1st Rental Property (DelCo PA)

Converting Primary Residence into 1st Rental Property (DelCo PA)

Brookhaven, PA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 3 votes

Hi Everyone! I am seeking your input on a situation I am currently facing in regards to making my primary residence into my first rental property. Any help is appreciated! 

Background: The house is located in Brookhaven, PA and is a 4 br/2 ba rancher on a dead-end street approximately 1 mile from Widener University and 25 minutes to Philadelphia. My current PITI payment is $1231/month. My realtor has run rental comparisons in the area and the rental range is $1400 - $1600.

I recently refinanced and the house was appraised for $206,000. My realtor thinks selling at $200,000 - $210,000 is very realistic. We paid $189,000 two years ago and owe $171,000. 

I have found a great property in a better school district that my wife and I like. I have a good income, steady job (federal employee), and great credit so getting another loan is not the issue. Carrying the two payments in terms of vacancy is because all our reserves would be used to purchase the new home. 

Question: Do I sell my current home and take the $10,000 left over from the sale to put into the new house? Or keep the house, rent it out for $1500, and buy another primary residence?  

0Reply
14 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Milan, IL · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    I think it really depends on your investing goals. If you don't want to be a real estate investor, then don't become one just for this deal. If you think long term you'd really like to buy more investment properties then converting an existing primary residence into a rental is a great way to do it. That's how my husband and I got started. 

  • Brookhaven, PA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Ronda Disch my goal is to continue investing in real estate. I am not as aggressive as others so I have time to build my portfolio. My overall REI goal is to acquire an investment property every few years so that when I retire in 15 years or so, I will have enough passive income to augment my pension allowing me the choice to continue working or not.

    Do the rental numbers seem workable to you? Am I missing anything glaringly? 

  • Investor · Milan, IL · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    They are workable numbers. If you have professional management, which I recommend, you're going to give them 10% each month. It leaves you some money to put into reserves for vacancy and future repairs. You won't really have a lot of profit, but someone will be paying a mortgage for you, which fits with your long term retirement strategy. If I were buying this house as an investment property, I might want a little more in it for monthly profit, but as you already own it it's not bad. If it were me in the same position as you, I'd keep it as a rental, $10k in equity isn't enough t make me want to sell, I couldn't reinvest that in anything I'd get too excited about without throwing in some more money. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.