Acquiring My First Loan on Investment Property

Acquiring My First Loan on Investment Property

Lender · Mount Airy, MD · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 3 votes

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone could lend their advice and give me some general direction towards obtaining my first loan that I will be putting towards 3 single family homes, which will be bundled together for around $150,000. I am 22 years old and just graduated from university last week. I will be starting a job at a company I interned for this winter in 3 weeks and will be making 36k this year. I have saved $30,000 dollars and have no debts accept for $19,500 student loans that I don't have to start paying off until December with a 4.5% interest rate ($220/month). I also have a 720 FICO credit score and will be living with my parents rent free for a year.

With that said I have a solid credit score, decent income, enough for a 20% down payment, and little debt. However, I have not had stable employment for the past two years, but have worked/held internships every summer and winter since starting college (September 2012). Now the investment on the houses is solid, I just need the loan and am willing to accept the 4-6% interest rate that comes with investment properties.

What is my best course of action to ensure I get the mortgage in a month and the deal finalized? Some final notes are that my father is willing to co-sign or co-borrow on the mortgage. He has been employed in the same industry for 35 years, has an income of 100k/year for a company he's been working for 10 years, a credit score of 740, and a good debt-to-income ratio.What would you recommend I do? For anyone who replies, I sincerely appreciate it.

0Reply
25 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    If it's truly 3 distinct SFRs and you want to use Fannie/Freddie financing, it'll be 3 contracts, 3 escrows, 3 mortgages for $40k each, 3 sets of closing costs, etc.

    That being said, with loan amounts this small, I'm guessing that commercial or hard money financing might just be better if you can find someone to blanket loan on all three at once just for the sake of 1 set of closing costs.

    Using fannie/freddie financing on loan amounts that small, the closing costs start to become a ridiculous % of the loan amount. Three appraisals at $500 each is greater than 1% of total amount financed right off the bat!

  • Investor · Florence, KY · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    I would talk to a bank about wrapping them all in one loan, usually you see this with rentals where multiple properties are bundled together at a lower interest rate, talk to your local bank or Reia for references. 

  • Brooklyn & Philadelphia, NY · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Try a local Credit Union, no prepayment penalties and might be able to deal with these small loan balances more easily than a commercial or community Bank. Not worth the nonsense dealing with a larger national Bank for these types of properties.

  • Lender · Mount Airy, MD · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    We did not get pre-approval from Wells Fargo. The mortgage broker said that our debt to income ratio was very low. Also, our credit scores indicate that my dad and I are very reliable. However, they had issues with our source of money for our down payment. My father just refinanced his mortgage and will be receiving $20,000. Also, we have two friends (investors) that both have committed to giving us $6,000 each. Also, between my dad and I we have about $7,000 in the bank and will be able to save $9,000 more by closing. Why did we not get approved? It doesn't make any sense. We were thinking about getting financing with QuickenLoans or NASA federal credit union. We both really want to capitalize on this opportunity. What should we do for the down payment?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.