Higher End SFH rentals (generally, but also Tampa specifically)

Higher End SFH rentals (generally, but also Tampa specifically)

Investor · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 23 votes

If I were purely considering the situation from an investor perspective, I would not consider purchasing higher end SFHs as with a buy and hold strategy, the cap rates seem to be very low. But if I'm considering a 1031 exchange from a current SFH rental (class A/A- but not high-end) to a higher end home that I would plan to invest in the short-run but have the option to convert to my personal resience in the medium/long-run, I may accept a smaller cap rate/return for this personal option I have down the road.

My concern is exactly how bad are the cap rates (generally, and again more specifically in Tampa folks have experience there) and even if I'm okay with a lower cap rate, will vacancy also be a major issue since there is less demand for high-end rentals as folks that can afford it often just buy these kinds of homes themselves?

Let me make this more tangible: A decent A/A- home in Tampa that sells for $250k rents for $2000/month provides $15k in net income for a cap rate of 6%. Not bad, not great. Let's say in order to pursue this 1031 exchange strategy of purchasing a higher end home so that I have the option of converting it to my personal residence, I'm willing to accept a cap rate of 4%. So if I'm looking at $700k homes and I want $28k in net income, my rents would have to be roughly $4,500/month.

Is there really much demand for rents this high (especially in FL, we're not talking about CA or NYC)? Can I really expect to get this much? Do these kind of homes generally suffer from a lot of vacancy since the demand will likely be much more sparse? In a particular area I am interested in South Tampa (Culbreath Bayou/Swann Estates), I see some rentals listed there in the $5k/month - $10k/month range, but wonder if they are actually able to get that much and if they have much larger vacancy.

0Reply
11 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Culbreath Isle is the higher end in South Tampa and the rent sounds about right. I live in the Riverview area in a rental and pay almost $1700.

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2011 · 833 posts · 499 votes
    10y

    @Joseph S. a couple things:

    There are a lot of nuances and rules to 1031 exchanges, specifically regarding converting or exchanging a rental property or properties for a personal residence, so that would be something you'd want to have a good handle on.

    There is demand at that higher rent level, but it's just far less (obviously) than the $1k - $2k range.

    You'll want a great prop management company on your team who are experienced with higher end rentals.

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 131 posts · 47 votes
    10y

    When you get anywhere in the 33629 zip code on the higher end you're going to be competing with buy and hold guys who just want to break even.

    I'm working with a potential seller right now who is perfectly content to clear 1-3% on their cap rate because they see their entire play as appreciation. I've talked to plenty more like him in places like Beach Park/Swann Estates.

    Anyway... the rental market isn't going be strong when you're talking about folks needing to clear $16,000+/month to qualify. That's about double the average income in the zip code... nearly 5x for the market as a whole.

    To keep that place rented... you're probably going to need to give someone a deal... or you're going to be dealing with a very rare renter and a lot of vacancy. The bottom line is you're going to be competing with other property owners willing to give that deal because for them any cash flow is a win.

    That said if you're ultimate goal is to roll that 1031 in a long term residency... it might get you there.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.