• Real Estate Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Can a non-licensed investor hire an agent as a runner

Michael Merritt
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted Aug 29 2016, 16:34

Hi, I'm in California, my wife and I are real estate investors (both unlicensed) I'm looking to hire a licensed agent to do some tasks for our company, mostly driving to look at properties, taking pictures, dropping off and picking up contracts and meeting with sellers. All these activities could be done by anyone and none of the activities are things that require an agent.. but some of the better candidates I'm interviewing happen to also be agents. I will be speaking to a local real estate attorney about this but I wanted to see if BP had any experience with this.

If I write up a work contract to hire this person and pay them a percentage of the deal once we close it, is that asking for trouble? 

They aren't finding any of these leads for us and mostly doing errands but I just don't want to fall under the BRE thumb as paying commissions to an agent or some unlicensed activity (i don't know all the rules). I just don't have the capital or resources to pay this person hourly and manage a timesheet, so I'd like to setup our agreement to be upon deals that we close together. Let me know your thoughts if you've structured work agreements like this? Maybe it's not a problem at all, I just don't know.

Loading replies...