FHA loan worth it or not in my situation

FHA loan worth it or not in my situation

Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 3 votes

New investor as of early this year.

Scenario: I own one duplex in Madison, WI that I owner occupy. I put 20% down, put 15k into renovations, and now the rent currently covers 100 % of my mortgage. I currently have ~15k available for investing. As far as I know, if I purchase a second rental property, I will need to put 25% down. But, with an FHA loan, I could put ~5% down as long as I were to move from my current location and owner occupy the second investment.

There is a duplex that I am interested in that is roughly 275k which would take over 3 years of savings for me to put 25% down. With the FHA loan, I could afford to put 5% down today. My mortgage would be around 2k which could be covered by the extra rent coming in from my first duplex when I move out and the rent coming in from the second duplex. So at this point, it appears that I would own 2 duplexes with both mortgages being covered by the three tenants.

I calculated out that it would cost an extra 60k over 30 years for mortgage insurance with the FHA loan and an extra 40k in payments due to only putting down 5% instead of waiting until I can afford 25% down. If I were to put down 5% now, in ~4 years I would have enough saved to possibly invest in a 3rd rental property which would eventually make up for the extra 100k that was spent on the second property due to the FHA loan.

What would you do in this situation? "Take advantage" of the FHA loan and go owner occupy a different duplex and rent both side of my current duplex.......or wait until I have enough saved to put 25% down using a conventional loan?

Are there other fees and expenses involved with an FHA loan besides the mortgage insurance? Can you put even less than 5% down with an FHA loan? What other details am I not thinking about that I should consider?

Thank you much for any responses!!

0Reply
20 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2014 · 108 posts · 50 votes
    9y

    What type of loan is the first duplex? If it is an FHA (assuming not since such a hefty down payment), you'll need to have lived there at least 1 year, and not sure if you'd be able to get a second FHA. Also, I believe you only have to have 3.5% down for FHA, and the seller can put up to 6% towards closing costs (may be lender specific). There are also products like the 203k where you can get financing for renovations as well.

  • Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the reply! My first loan was conventional, so I have not yet taken an FHA loan. I'll keep in mind the 203k, but unlike my first duplex, this one is more move-in ready.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    Hi @Account Closed. How long have you lived in the first duplex? If you've lived there longer than one year, you've satisfied any residency requirements (not sure there are any for conventional) and you can move into the new duplex. Just make sure you will owner occupy for an entire year in the next property. FHA comes with a one-year residency requirement.

    I see no other issues with your plan.

    FHA down payment can be as low as 3.5%.

  • Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Hello Mindy and thank you for the response. I have been in my current duplex for 7 months, and I do not believe there is a residency requirement but definitely something I will look into. The next duplex I will be living in for several years is my prediction. Glad to hear you see no other issues. 

    Thanks again.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.