Rehab & rent (BRRRR) vs Fix & flip

Rehab & rent (BRRRR) vs Fix & flip

New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 470 posts · 348 votes

I'm trying to make a pros/cons list so that, when I come across a good property, I have criteria to help me decide whether to rehab & rent (BRRRR) or fix & flip that property. Here's what I've got so far - curious for more input:

Rehab & rent (BRRRR):

  • Avoid paying hefty up-front taxes that you incur with a flip
  • Good when a property has high rents and low expenses
  • Good if you want to hold on to the property bc you expect future rent increases and/or appreciation

Fix & Flip:

  • Take your profits immediately (albeit with heavy taxes)
  • Good when ARV is high, but rents aren't that high, so you can cash out immediately
  • Good when you don't particularly like the neighborhood and don't want a long-term holding here

What do you guys think? Curious to hear what other criteria you guys use when deciding whether to fix & flip or rehab & rent a specific property.

(Note: I'm not asking why you prefer a general strategy of fix & flip vs rehab & rent - to each his own. I'm asking about assessing a specific property that could go either way).

1Reply
49 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

If the bank's post-rehab appraisal will get you ALL your deposit/cash back, AND it will still cash flow positively (even if not a lot) with the consequential 75% leverage, then get that deposit back to buy another - BEFORE you decide if you'd prefer to flip it! (Best of both worlds!) Cheers...

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Pineville, LA · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 34 votes
    9y

    @Eric P. I think you already have a pretty good idea based on your bullet points. Each market is different. I would say that a big deciding factor for me is if there is room to flip it then I will just b/c highly profitable flips are more difficult to find in my market. I can find good rental property all the time depending on preferred neighborhood. If your market is the same then I would suggest that approach. However, if it's more difficult to find profitable buy & hold then I understand the dilemma. Specific neighborhood and location is a big factor for me. I want my flips to be in locations that will sell quick and easy. Good luck in the future!

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    If the bank's post-rehab appraisal will get you ALL your deposit/cash back, AND it will still cash flow positively (even if not a lot) with the consequential 75% leverage, then get that deposit back to buy another - BEFORE you decide if you'd prefer to flip it! (Best of both worlds!) Cheers...

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    9y

    You're decision making approach is wrong...but you're not alone in this.  I could go into a long explanation of why, but I'll give you the 30,000 foot view of it...and keep it simple.  (Now those that know me, after they've picked themselves up off the floor from laughing so hard, will say that's impossible...but here goes).

    Don't make this decision, for any specific property, based solely on the immediate "exit" numbers ($$$$) of that property.  Make this decision based on what those "exit" numbers will do for you upon "exit".  In other words, make those decisions based on what you plan on doing next.  

    Every "Exit strategy" (flip or hold), should be based on the next "entrance" strategy, and so on. Don't buy properties as singles...buy them based on them being small parts of a whole, and that whole is your overall REI plan.

    If you are in the correct Market, this house will come up again...but with a different address. When it does, at that time, you may go with a different exit strategy than you did with the previous one...or not.

  • Morristown, TN · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 22 votes
    8y

    Interesting thread, had the same questions myself. Will bump to hope any further discussion comes.

    I'm asking myself the same questions. At the moment, it sounds like I should focus on simply fixing and flipping properties since it might be an issue to refinance the loan at the present moment because I can't offer proof of income other than a paypal monthly balance sheet (no tax returns for the last two years - was not legally obligated to do so).

    Ideally, I'd want to BRRR for the cash flow and perhaps more profit in the long run, however, a fix n flip makes things a bit easier. I don't need to worry about property management or refinancing, though the taxes will hurt as well as any realtor fees.

    I'm guessing a 1032 exchange wouldn't apply since the house is not owned free and clear, is this correct? Any way around the tax hit?

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    A lot has to do with the property, but I think a lot has to do with your financial goals. Flips provide money now. Few months of work and there’s money in your pocket to do it again. It’s a lot of work, but the payoff is quick. Buy & Hold puts money in your pocket over the next 5-10-20 years. A lot less work (or probably the same, just spread out over years and years) Where do you want your money invested? What are your goals between working for your money or having passive investments. People have made lots of money both ways!
  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y

    @Tim Ivory, You can do 1031 exchanges with debt no problem at all.  When you do a 1031 you must purchase at least as much as you sell and use all of the proceeds from the sale in the next purchase if you want to defer all tax..  If you have debt when you sell that just affects how much proceeds you have.  You can either put your own cash into the new purchase or you can borrow normally.  So 1031 can work great with a buy and hold/refinance scenario.  

    Where 1031 exchanges don't work is on properties you are intending to resell immediately (fix n flips).  Property that is eligible for 1031 exchanges is property you purchased with the intent of holding.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · IL · Member since 2016 · 284 posts · 178 votes
    8y

    I'd say @Joe Villeneuve nailed it!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.