Co-Worker Used Credit Cards to Fix but won't flip

Co-Worker Used Credit Cards to Fix but won't flip

Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2017 · 74 posts · 41 votes

I'm working with a guy that purchase a primary residence. Instead of taking out a 203k loan or even an FHA loan he put 20% down. He was under the assumption he would be able to take out the rehab costs at the end of fixing the property. Besides having done everything wrong to this point he has put $30k in rehab on credit cards. He now has a debt to equity ratio that is all out of whack. His credit score has been pinged from opening new credit cards throughout the process. He was told he no longer qualifies to get a refinance on the property to get out of the mess that has been created. Probably a good reason not to use credit cards to fund a rehab.

My questions is what options should he look into.  Selling the property is a last resort at this moment.  I've suggested many options to help with paying the credit cards back including taking out a loan on his employer 401k which is at a much more favorable rate and would alleviate some of that pressure.  His end game is refinancing if possible, but anyone know of other options?  

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
9y

Get a second job. Just working on the weekends he can probably pay $10k of that off in 6-12 months. 

Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y

    Get a second job. Just working on the weekends he can probably pay $10k of that off in 6-12 months. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Miami, FL · Member since 2011 · 296 posts · 72 votes
    9y

    Well...he is obviously in a bad deal, why is selling it a last resource?? I'd just sell it, get everything squared up and start over.

  • Rental Property Investor · Saint Cloud, WI · Member since 2016 · 186 posts · 63 votes
    9y

    He may be able to refi through a "stated loan". 

    Otherwise, I am with Allende.  Chalk this one up to a learning process..

  • Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2017 · 74 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    I agree he should, problem is he is a bit delusional in the sense that it is his wife and kids first home in their dream location.  I like the ideas you put out though.  I just had it on my mind to find out other suggestions.  Personally, I'd get the 2nd job, I'd look to sell off things, or get out of the deal and chalk it up, but he has other thoughts.  He actually has gained equity in the deal too and might come out break even worse case scenario.  I wondered if there was other options at this point I could pass along, but I think we all know what he should do.  

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    He is delusional. His last resort is his only rational option, sell.

  • Rental Property Investor · Broken Arrow, OK · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I will never understand why people "CHOOSE" to over leverage themselves and try to live beyond their means.  I would be willing to bet the majority of those who are very successful on BP all live in modest homes with a lot of equity, and drive modest cars most probably paid cash, that they can easily afford.  Even Warren Buffett still lives in the modest home he purchased in the 1950's.  There's no better feeling then eliminating excess debt.  Live within your means!!  My 2 cents...

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2008 · 551 posts · 159 votes
    9y

    @Bryan Wilson and FHA debt consolidation refi may do the job once his title seasons. Paying off the debt will lower his DTI. He should be able to find a 580+ FICO lender to do the refi. Find a mortgage broker or a retail LO that specializes in refinance transactions. Someone will need to take the time to help him draft a letter of explanation for items on his credit report. It should help that the money was used to improve the property instead of a shopping spree.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    He can approach his present credit card companies and ask, if they can please increase his credit limit. Of course he can only do that, if he's made his payments on time. If they are willing to do that, then his utilization rate will go down and his score might go up. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.