SFH rental with pool in East Valley AZ

SFH rental with pool in East Valley AZ

Investor · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 2 votes

Dear Bigger Pocket community,

I am evaluating a few properties in East Valley Arizona. Multi family inventory is low here for my budget so I am starting to look at SFH. Many of the SFHs in the area come with a pool. Now I understand pool can typically adds an additional $10K to $15K in the resale value in this area, but am a bit concerned with the cost (maintenance, higher insurance premium) and most importantly, liability issues.

On the other hand, the pool probably also allows you to command a higher rent and is more desirable for future homebuyers?

Can anyone experienced in this area share your thoughts on investing in SFH with a pool? should I avoid it or embrace it? thank you so much.

0Reply
24 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Avoid it ... a bunch of extra liability and maintenance cost for not much extra rent. I would even go so far as to say that if you happen upon an absolutely smokin' deal that would be perfect in every way as a rental except for the fact that it has a pool, I would factor in the expense to fill in the pool and only then if the numbers still made sense would I proceed with it as a rental, either that or keep the pool and flip it. You absolutely should NOT embrace it and seek out rental properties with a pool IMO.

    This is for long term mid to low end rentals. The only exceptions may be short term vacation rentals or super high end rentals ... I don't deal in that space so not sure if pools are equally unappealing there.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chandler AZ and Sylvania, OH · Member since 2009 · 708 posts · 561 votes
    9y

    When taking a quick glance at the pictures, we don't consider houses that have pools or bars on the windows when evaluating for a rental.  This will weed out a lot of properties for us.  Not worth the trouble.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.