how do I convence my stingy landlord friend

how do I convence my stingy landlord friend

CA 路 Member since 2016 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes

My friend just rented his place out to a new tenant, with a move in date of this coming Thursday. New tenant is going to pay for all utility...

His previous tenant moved out about 2 weeks ago and city shut down water after the move out. My friend does not want to turn the water back on now because city will charge a fee for that... He wanted to wait until the new tenant moves in and have her call the city to put the water back on...

I feel this is so wrong, but I don't know how to explain this to my friend...Does anyone know of a law that says this is wrong?

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2016 路 143 posts 路 157 votes
9y

I don't see the problem. If the tenants are paying the water bill they'll have to put it in their names anyway.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2016 路 143 posts 路 157 votes
    9y

    I don't see the problem. If the tenants are paying the water bill they'll have to put it in their names anyway.

  • CA 路 Member since 2016 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    9y

    @David D Painter

    when the new tenant moves in on Thursday, there is no water in the house....that is the problem....Is that even legal?

    And the tenant is paying $3400 a month... Of course, that is considered low rent in Bay Area...

  • Member since 2016 路 143 posts 路 157 votes
    9y

    if the tenant is responsible for utilities they need to have that done before they move in. My tenants are not allowed to take possession until they have untilities transferred. I dont see this as the landlords problem other than not having water in between tenants for the landlords convenience 

  • CA 路 Member since 2016 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    9y

    Really ?????????????

  • Investor 路 Orange County, CA 路 Member since 2015 路 2k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    9y

    I agree with David D. Painter ... your friend the landlord could send a friendly reminder to the new tenant via text message or email that they should contact the city to turn the water on under their name prior to moving in so it will be already on when they move in. This is pretty standard in my experience, though I'm not in the Bay Area.

  • Investor 路 San Jose, CA 路 Member since 2012 路 2k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Diane G.:

    Really ?????????????

    Diane,

    At this point, just tell your friend to let the tenant know that it may take up to 24 hours for the water company to turn on the water. Have the tenant give the city a call tomorrow so that they'll have water by the time they move in on Thursday.

    This is where it may potentially be penny wise pound foolish. Imagine the water got turned on on Wednesday and the house got flooded because someone forgot to turn a faucet off? The tenant shows up of Thursday to find the house flooded and called the landlord, but that's his issue. 馃榿

  • CA 路 Member since 2016 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    9y

    @David Faulkner, @David D Painter

    Thanks for the input... That is pretty surprising to me, but I guess I am not as informed as I thought I was... Lol

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.