Debating whether to sell or do long term rental on our house.

Debating whether to sell or do long term rental on our house.

Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 6 votes

My wife and I own a single family home in a highly sought after Historic neighborhood in our City. Guess you would say it's "Class A"? The property is also zoned Multi-Use (and Multi-family), so it has expanded use possibilities beyond just residential (some of the houses in the neighborhood have restaurants, retail shops, etc in them-we could do the same if wanted or rent to these type of businesses for operation on the property). There is the main house at the front of the property (1,400sqft 3BR/2.5BA) and an apartment at the rear of the property (600sqft 1BR/1BA). The property is pretty much fully renovated with all new HVAC, roof, etc so maintenance should be relatively low moving forward. The lot the property sits on is worth more than the structures sitting on it, because 1) location and 2) it's zoned in such as way that a developer could do a lot with the property by building more square footage (larger house, etc). When the house is fully used/run down we could probably sell just the lot for $500K or tear down and develop ourselves and profit that way (sqft sale prices are between $250 and $450/ft in our neighborhood depending on size of the house). Lots of possibilities, it's not your typical cookie cutter type house/area, which is why we're really on the fence about what to do. Would appreciate any opinions/suggestions.

So...we are planning to travel extensively out of the country (US residents, just have some "wander lust" right now) and trying to decide what to do with the house. We've been renting the main house for about the last four years and living in the apt in back for the last two. So if we sell, we would have to pay capital gains of about $60K.

My wife likes the idea of renting it out so we'd have some income coming in while we're living overseas (I'm not sure that I'll work while we're there for at least the first year or so). Below are the "monthly income/expenses" of the property that I'm calculating:

OPTION 1: Sell

Sale price: $600K

HELOC (payoff): -$75K

Cap Gains: -$60K

Realtor Commission (5%): -$30K

WALK AWAY FROM SALE WITH $430K free and clear.

OPTION 2: Long Term Rental as residence (would be higher for renting to a business though, and could also do vacation rental-the area is highly desirable for tourists and it's a large industry here)

(Monthly)

Rental Income (Gross): $4,250

Prop Taxes and Insurance:  -$490

HELOC payment: -$275

Vacancy (5%): -$212

Maintenance (8%): -$340

Property Mgmt (8%): -$340

So net income would be about $2,600/month and then there would be the depreciation tax advantage against the income, etc.

OPTION 3: (Cash out refi equity in the house and buy other rental properties to leverage the equity)

Thoughts on the cashflow of this relative to the sale price of the house (considering the cap gains hit, etc) and future possibilities of the property? I feel like the cash flow is a pretty low-risk endeavor given the class of the property/neighborhood but I don't know-thoughts from the experts? Thanks!

0Reply
22 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 955 votes
    9y

    @Scott V. 

    Not an expert, but here's my 2 cents. 

    It all ultimately depends on both your goals and current financial situation. 

    Personally I would go with Option 2. Set up a system and use the vacation rental model to boost cash flow.  Hold on the property long term for more possible appreciation instead of paying taxes / commissions. 

    Or Option 3. But If I'm traveling for fun for a while, I don't want to expose myself to more unknown risks. 

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    My biggest worry about operating it as a vacation rental is being out of the country and 8 hours ahead time-wise. But my neighborhood does have a large number of vacation rentals, so it would be easy to find someone to manage it, just a matter of expenses. I think we've decided to go ahead and keep it as a rental, I think I'll set up one of the properties as a full-time vac rental while we're living here and get it running without stepping foot in the place (to mimic living abroad) and see how that goes. An advantage is that our neighborhood is a top vac rental destination so there are a lot of resources around such as handyman, cleaners, hosts, etc geared toward this. Thanks.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 273 posts · 217 votes
    9y

    @Scott V. You have made the right choice! I can tell you that it works (I'm writing from Asia, with STRs across the US funding the travel). You can manage as much or as little as you like depending on how much profit you wan to make. Your situation sounds perfect for it. If you need advice for remote managing reach out. Good luck.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.