Company owner with no W2..How do I get a loan?

Company owner with no W2..How do I get a loan?

Contractor · Bridgeport, CT · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 11 votes

Hello!

As of November 2016 my electrical company was doing well so I quit my W2 job to work for myself. At the time I was working for someone else, I was growing my company on the side,and accumulating a few months of savings so that I could make that switch to working for myself, and with that I couldn't afford to buy a house. I didn't know that financing while working for myself would be difficult... 

Here is my question. Since I started working for myself full time I have been paying myself a weekly income (in the form of a check) from my LLC's bank account to my personal account, shouldn't this show the bank that I have steady income from the business even if I don't have the company for 2 yrs? Anything else I can do besides wait or form partnerships?

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Westford, MA · Member since 2016 · 92 posts · 52 votes
9y
You may luck out with a community bank that is willing to look at your previous w2 pay and also your company's tax return for 2016 and possibly year to date financials for 2017. You left a w2 job but moved directly into a self employed role in the same industry.
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Westford, MA · Member since 2016 · 92 posts · 52 votes
    9y
    You may luck out with a community bank that is willing to look at your previous w2 pay and also your company's tax return for 2016 and possibly year to date financials for 2017. You left a w2 job but moved directly into a self employed role in the same industry.
  • Harjeet BhattiPro Member
    Lender · Glenview IL- CDLP NMLS#230554 · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 747 votes
    9y

    This can be consider on scenario basis. Did you file tax return on your company name before when you had w2 job? if yes you have 2 years  of self-employment proof whether it was negative income. 

  • Contractor · Bridgeport, CT · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Samantha Magina I will give that a try.

    @Harjeet Bhatti yes, last year I did file a tax return for 2016 on my company while on the W2 job, but still halfway through 2017 so I have around year and a half, but company has been doing well, making way more, and can show that. 

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    This should be a non issue it  you have filed multiple years of legitimate tax returns.

  • Harjeet BhattiPro Member
    Lender · Glenview IL- CDLP NMLS#230554 · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 747 votes
    9y

    @Saulo Queiroz The lender won't consider 2017 ytd income but that will help  you to get exception on 2 years history. 

  • Contractor · Bridgeport, CT · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    Yeah @Ned Carey prior to owning my electrical company I have about 10 years of tax returns from 2 companies, but I guess I just have be persistant and try at different places.

    Thanks @Harjeet Bhatti

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    @Saulo Queiroz banks are odd in that regard. They prefer W-2 income.  Yet someone can get fired overnight. 

    A lot of it is how you present yourself or your company. You have to have ave a clear plan what you want the money for and how the bank will get repaid.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.