Turnkey Inspection Results: Cracked Window Panes, what to do?

Turnkey Inspection Results: Cracked Window Panes, what to do?

Rental Property Investor · Johnson City TN · Member since 2016 · 386 posts · 271 votes

I'm buying a turnkey SFR and had a third party inspection done. The inspector found a couple of cracked window panes. Is this something I should ask to be fixed or credited for before closing. My thought is since the windows are already compromised they could easily deteriorate further with normal use and then it becomes a capital expenditure.

My highest priorities are: Safety, code, and opertions...things should work as designed.  I'd appreciate any thoughts or guidance.

Thanks

0Reply
7 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
9y
You'd want that fixed before closing
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9y
    You'd want that fixed before closing
  • Ben McMahonPro Member
    Investor · San Diego CA · Member since 2014 · 341 posts · 139 votes
    9y
    There is no downside to getting that credit. You can bet if they replace the windows it's going to be the cheapest possible ones, so I would go for the credit. It's not turnkey if the windows are cracked. While the risk is minimal, I would go ahead and get it taken care of.
  • Rental Property Investor · Johnson City TN · Member since 2016 · 386 posts · 271 votes
    9y

    @Ben McMahon "It's not turnkey if the windows are cracked."

    My thoughts exactly.  If I get the credit I'll just throw it in the cap-ex fund.  Hopefully they'll agree to replace them.

  • Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2016 · 348 posts · 171 votes
    9y

    @Greg Scully I think you missed what @Ben McMahon said. You want the credit so that you can fix the window pane, not through it in a cap-ex fund. You want to fix the pane so that you can ensure that the work is done correctly. 

    I would also be weary of buying from turnkey providers that put lipstick on pigs. Everyone makes mistakes though and this could have just been an oversight on their part. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Johnson City TN · Member since 2016 · 386 posts · 271 votes
    9y

    @Kenneth Mooney.  Got it. Thanks.  

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Ask for everything.  If they advertise a turn key, negotiate / demand that the windows are fixed, replaced or credited.  This could be a sign that shoddy work was done.  Reply on that inspection report.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.