REI Sites Legitimacy Roofstock etc.

2 Replies

Biggerpocket gurus pls share thoughts on crowdfunding REI sites like roofstock, HomeUnion etc.

Does it tie into the Biggerpocket ideals and methodology?

@KS Hanley - Do a search- there are a fortune of threads on this topic. (new and old)

BTW- What exactly is the " Biggerpocket ideals and methodology" you are referring to ? 

With Roofstock you own the whole house, rather than crowdfunding with someone else. So it requires deeper pockets and the ability to finance the loan yourself (including taking that liability). They have $70 million worth of venture capital, so they are probably not going to go bankrupt anytime soon. And supposedly they get a lot of their inventory from institutional investors, so theoretically it might mean higher quality inventory. 

The issue I've seen with them is that the yields don't look super impressive to me. For example, they had many properties in my city of Tampa, that I personally wouldn't be investing in because of the low yields. (I've been able to do much better by sourcing myself). 

On the other hand, if a person lives in a market where they can't buy a property locally, this can be a nice alternative. Just be careful, as an investor did report recently that the Roofstock inspection did not catch everything that he expected it to any had unexpected extra expenses. If you want more info, pm me.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.