Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 6 votes
I have been looking at Bibbs County and I am interested in the area. Any information from folks that have experience investing there would be much appreciated. I like the 35-40k price range and I am wondering if the 1.5-2% rule can be met with SFH rentals. Thanks in advance!
Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 19 votes
8y
Hi Jeremy, I'm a Californian in contract for a duplex in Macon GA, a town I studied for so long I missed the boat. I visited recently, offered on 4 properties, passed on 2, and hopefully can close on one. I am looking mostly in the historic areas near downtown, so I am casting my net narrowly, but my sense is that the super-bargains for residential are gone. The properties available are in truly heinous condition and sellers are unrealistic about their value. Rents are not increasing fast enough to justify purchase prices. Vacant land in promising neighborhoods is being hoarded by the Land Bank Authority (which you cannot sell it for a profit). The mixed use buildings downtown look better; loft rents are good and local organizations are helpful to developers. My strategy on this duplex is BRRRR, and while it's on the operating table I'm looking for the next Macon. Let us know if you have other ideas, like same-size towns in Nevada....
Lender · Playa del Carmen, México · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
Hi@Jeremy Haney! We've done deals in Bibbs County and have great contacts there on the ground that could help accelerate your efforts. If you'd like to chat, connect with me here on BP.
Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 6 votes
8y
@claude s. Bibbs County has qualities that are attractive to me.
Population: above 250k
Price range: low to start(this would be my first investment out of state). I am looking to get warmed up to the daunting task of out of state investing.
Employment growth is on par with national average
The numbers are just not here in California at the moment so my main focus is on Cash Flow.
There are negatives I see with the crime rate. I grew up in or around bad areas so it really does not scare me off. My plan is to go to the market and see with my own eyes to get a feel for it.
Personally I am more attracted to Warner Robbins.
Grants Pass, OR · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
8y
I have family that lives in Troup County and they love Georgia! This is one of the places that they have recommended. But sounds like there's definitely ate some sketchy areas.
Grants Pass, OR · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
8y
I have family that lives in Troup County and they love Georgia! This is one of the places that they have recommended. But sounds like there's definitely are some sketchy areas.
Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 19 votes
8y
Hi Jeremy, I'm a Californian in contract for a duplex in Macon GA, a town I studied for so long I missed the boat. I visited recently, offered on 4 properties, passed on 2, and hopefully can close on one. I am looking mostly in the historic areas near downtown, so I am casting my net narrowly, but my sense is that the super-bargains for residential are gone. The properties available are in truly heinous condition and sellers are unrealistic about their value. Rents are not increasing fast enough to justify purchase prices. Vacant land in promising neighborhoods is being hoarded by the Land Bank Authority (which you cannot sell it for a profit). The mixed use buildings downtown look better; loft rents are good and local organizations are helpful to developers. My strategy on this duplex is BRRRR, and while it's on the operating table I'm looking for the next Macon. Let us know if you have other ideas, like same-size towns in Nevada....
I live in Atlanta and recently started investing in Macon. Also interested in the historic areas. I am BRRRR-ing 2 bungalows in Vineville right across the street from each other. Wondering who you are using for property management and if you're having any trouble occupying your units?
Investor · Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2016 · 112 posts · 70 votes
8y
This is a very interesting thread on investing in Macon and Warner Robins. I’m a local investor and I usually have multiple properties available at any given point. I prefer to keep everything I can, but am not opposed to letting something go if it fits what someone else is looking for. If anyone is still interested in the area feel free to contact me and we can discuss options.
Professional · Macon, GA · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 9 votes
8y
@Jeremy Haney @Alain Mario Eboli Jr. @Maggie W.
I'm a Macon native and work with a local real estate brokerage that also has a property management division. Let me know if I can answer any questions or connect you with anyone.
I'm a Macon native and work with a local real estate brokerage that also has a property management division. Let me know if I can answer any questions or connect you with anyone.
Very interesting to see discussion on Macon rentals. I bought in 2012 and added one more couple of years ago. I understand from my property manager there is an uptick , mostly from folks looking for cash flow. One of the advantages of Macon is the reasonable property tax even compared to Atlanta and much lower than places like Illinois.
Real Estate Agent · North Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 2 votes
7y
@Lee Taylor Hi, Lee! Looking to invest in Warner Robins, not quite ready to pull the trigger. I've been so amped on numbers that I can swing that I completely forgot to look at crime statistics. Apparently there's some pretty high crime in the area. Also, do you have any insight on whether this is a decent market to do a flip or two before going BRRRR? If you'd be willing to help an out-of-towner get a better grip on the locale, I'd be eternally grateful. I'm looking to come visit on my way up to Atlanta around Thanksgiving to get a better idea for myself, but in the meantime, could use some solid advice from a current investor in the market.
Investor · Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2016 · 112 posts · 70 votes
7y
@Shelby Lunger I’d be happy to help. I currently have 4 flips in progress in Houston County, 1 in Bibb, and 1 on the market in Peach. I would agree that the market is fine to do a flip, but finding the deal will always be the challenge. My real estate agent flips a house per month on average and she gets a lot of her leads from the MLS where I focus on all off market. The margins for flips tends to be lower, but returns on rentals is very strong. I won’t be here over thanksgiving as we are visiting family, but if you want to message me we can set up some time to talk more and I can provide whatever information you desire.
@Lee Taylor Hi Lee. I could really use some insight from an investor knowledgeable and experienced in the area, and wanted to know if you had any time to discuss? Thanks in advance, I appreciate your time.
North GA · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 11 votes
7y
@Nicholas Carlson I have several rentals in the Macon area and am working on a couple of deals at the present time. Let’s connect and maybe I can help you with your real estate pursuits.