Out of state investing in Macon, GA

13 Replies

I have been looking at Bibbs County and I am interested in the area. Any information from folks that have experience investing there would be much appreciated. I like the 35-40k price range and I am wondering if the 1.5-2% rule can be met with SFH rentals. Thanks in advance!

Hi @Jeremy Haney ! We've done deals in Bibbs County and have great contacts there on the ground that could help accelerate your efforts. If you'd like to chat, connect with me here on BP.

I am looking in that area as well for a rental property.  

How in the world would someone across the country pick Macon Ga for investing?
Just wondering....

@claude s. Bibbs County has qualities that are attractive to me.

Population: above 250k

Price range: low to start(this would be my first investment out of state). I am looking to get warmed up to the daunting task of out of state investing.

Employment growth is on par with national average

The numbers are just not here in California at the moment so my main focus is on Cash Flow.

There are negatives I see with the crime rate. I grew up in or around bad areas so it really does not scare me off. My plan is to go to the market and see with my own eyes to get a feel for it.

Personally I am more attracted to Warner Robbins.

@Cher Boyer that’s good to hear. This is all new to me. @Mitch Messer thanks Mitch, I will reach out!

I have family that lives in Troup County and they love Georgia! This is one of the places that they have recommended. But sounds like there's definitely ate some sketchy areas.

I have family that lives in Troup County and they love Georgia! This is one of the places that they have recommended. But sounds like there's definitely are some sketchy areas.

This post has been removed.

Hi Jeremy, I'm a Californian in contract for a duplex in Macon GA, a town I studied for so long I missed the boat. I visited recently, offered on 4 properties, passed on 2, and hopefully can close on one. I am looking mostly in the historic areas near downtown, so I am casting my net narrowly, but my sense is that the super-bargains for residential are gone. The properties available are in truly heinous condition and sellers are unrealistic about their value. Rents are not increasing fast enough to justify purchase prices. Vacant land in promising neighborhoods is being hoarded by the Land Bank Authority (which you cannot sell it for a profit). The mixed use buildings downtown look better; loft rents are good and local organizations are helpful to developers. My strategy on this duplex is BRRRR, and while it's on the operating table I'm looking for the next Macon. Let us know if you have other ideas, like same-size towns in Nevada....

@Jeremy Haney did you pull the trigger on a Macon, GA rental? 

@Maggie W. did you close on the duplex?

I live in Atlanta and recently started investing in Macon. Also interested in the historic areas. I am BRRRR-ing 2 bungalows in Vineville right across the street from each other. Wondering who you are using for property management and if you're having any trouble occupying your units?

@Alain Mario Eboli Jr. I did not end up buying in the area. Bought a property in Michigan actually. Good luck on your projects!

This is a very interesting thread on investing in Macon and Warner Robins. I’m a local investor and I usually have multiple properties available at any given point. I prefer to keep everything I can, but am not opposed to letting something go if it fits what someone else is looking for. If anyone is still interested in the area feel free to contact me and we can discuss options.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here