What do you REALLY pay for Property Management?

What do you REALLY pay for Property Management?

Rental Property Investor · Leander, TX · Member since 2018 · 183 posts · 264 votes

I'm somewhat new to Real Estate investing, so I analyze lots of deals as a way to learn. I want my analyses to be as accurate as I can get them.

I've been concerned about the accuracy of my estimate for Property Management expense. At first I was using 10% because in many metros, that's what PM's take from the monthly rent roll, but then I realized that was only part of the story.

  • Each time a tenant moves out, a PM charges 1 month's rent to place a new tenant. If tenants stay on average for 2 years, that's an extra 1/24 (one month out of 24) of rental income going to the PM. 1/24 = 4.2%.
  • Most PMs charge a renewal fee if a tenant re-ups. Again using the average 2 year stay, that means the PM is collecting that fee every other year (think of it as: in even years, the tenant re-ups; in odd years, new tenant). Let's say that's another $100 on a $800/month unit. That's 1/8 of a month's rent, every 24 months - another 0.5%.
  • Each time a tenant re-ups, I'll want an inspection of the property. Call that $75 - again, every other year. Add 0.4%.

So we're looking at

  • Base fee: 10%
  • Tenant placement: 4.2%
  • Renewal fee: 0.5%
  • Inspection fee: 0.4%
  • Total: 10+4.2+0.5+0.4 = 15.1%

Of course, this will vary across markets and between PM's. In some areas PMs charge less than 10%, or less than a full month's rent for a tenant placement. And if your tenants stay longer than 2 years, then your placement fees will hit less often.

But the point stands: the base rate is only a part of the net cost of PM service.

I'd love to hear from other BP'ers: what do YOU use for PM cost in your analyses (or what are you actually paying). Anyone?

11Reply
112 views

Most Popular Reply

Doug McVinuaPro Member
Property Manager · Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2016 · 608 posts · 426 votes
7y

@Joel Fine Not all Property Managers charge fee structures like you're experiencing. Good, caring PM's exist that want owners to be successful while still making an honest dollar.

I was with an attorney for a very large flat fee ($75.00 per month) PM firm one day and he was proud to convey that the average gross per door was $250 per month and the average tenant duration was 8 months. $75.00 per month is clearly total BS marketing and if I had an 8 month tenant duration I would be pissed as an owner.

I take great pride in the service we provide with only 2 fee's to owners, a lease up fee and a % per month. The lease up fee is needed as it's actually a lot of time to market, show, screen, lease and do the move-in etc. I don't consider the leasing fee a profit center given the value of my time, prepping the property, showings, lease, move-in and then the first month or two is generally higher service volume with a new tenant.

I believe in most situations we are far better off keeping the tenant happy enough to want to stay put and avoid the turnover. Unless a tenant is bad it's much better for the owner to renew and the owner is who I owe my fiduciary. Yes, I have a right to an income but my obligation and fiduciary is with the owner. The needs of the owner come before mine so in good faith I never turn a property over unless it needs it. I have one right now that I just don't like the tenant and agreed to do a lease up for free because it helps me, the owner was indifferent. It's an easy lease up and won't cause vacancy and I get rid of a difficult tenant that is a time sucker.

PM industry gurus for years have been promoting the fee's as additional income. I like income don't get me wrong but I'm happy taking my % per month with good owners that own decent properties and let us do our job.

Another fee to be careful of is the PM charging the tenant a monthly fee. In AZ I believe that fee drives away many good tenants. Many good tenants are smart and realize the owner should be paying the PM fee so they avoid those properties so now the ones charging the tenants are left with a less than desirable pool of tenants. The owner thinking they are saving money is likely losing money as they get a lower quality tenant and all the issues that go with them.

Sorry for rant, it's early on a Saturday and I need more coffee!!! lol

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Joel Fine I was in the same boat. The reality is that bigger really is better. Ask @Ben Leybovich and he will tell you I am doing the wrong thing too. I need to sell all this Chicago stuff that gets snowed on and go buy a 200 unit value add in Phoenix :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    @Joel Fine excellent question! I've spoken with a lot of different turnkey companies and it annoys me so much that they never include placement or renewal fees in their pro-formas (not that you should trust their pro-formas anyway). I think on average over time it will probably be closer to 15% like you have calculated, but in reality, its going to be lumpy.... a $1,000 placement fee could wipe out half of your return for the year! 

    For my projections (to be conservative) I'll assume an 18 month lease with two different PM lines. The first line I have the standard 8% PM fee, and on the second line, I'll do a placement fee in year 1, a renewal fee in year 2, and then a placement fee in year 3, etc. That may very well equal 15% on an annual basis, but for me it helps to think about them separately as the 8% should be constant, but the second line will be variable. 

    For my homes in Memphis, I'm paying 8% PM fee, 75% of one month rent for tenant placement, and $150 renewal fee. I also have an optional 2x/ year property inspection for $80 (I've chosen to get it done once a year). This is not the cheapest I found in Memphis, nor is it the most expensive. It's in the middle. 

    Finally, I had a rough start to my first two turnkey purchases. I've learned the hard way to value of a good PM and I have no desire to independently manage them remotely. A great PM is worth their commission, but a bad one will drive you crazy (and cause you to lose money).   

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.