Property Management for new investments

Property Management for new investments

Cheshire, CT · Member since 2018 · 87 posts · 60 votes

I have listened to a lot of the podcast and also browsed on here to know that this might be a foolish question.

How "unreasonable" is it to want property management when you first start out? Even with something like a 4-plex?

I have spent a lot of time (probably stupidly) convincing myself that "I can't be a landlord right now". I don't have the time due to a job and growing family and don't have the desire to deal with headaches or property maintenance (like snow/ice in the winter). But soooo many people don't make excuses like that for themselves. I feel like this inner debate is largely distracting and a huge disservice to myself, so I want to share it with others to see if my current feelings are misguided/based on inaccurate information.

My goal is to not have to work when I'm 40, and I just turned 30. Based on my expenses and my state, I should only need 30 units to accomplish that goal, assuming they all cash flow correctly. Not that I would stop there. 30 units in 10 years seems incredibly reasonable, based on what I've heard around BP. I could start considering quitting my job and going full time at 20 units, but it would be close.

This leads me to my inner debate. 20 units feels like a lot to maintain on my own, even if its 5 4-plexes. Which is where property management would play a huge role. I would love to have systems in place where I can just acquire property and collect money, but that will take time. I would love to manage a property manager while they managed from 1 to 30+ properties for me. The problem with that is that most people don't recommend having a manager to start. I think another issue is that most managers won't deal with only one property, which is out of my hands (and frankly makes sense, its just not financially worth it for them).

These are my rambling thoughts. I need someone to just grab me by the head and shake me. And please don't worry about analysis paralysis, my timeline indicates my investing cannot really start until January 1st, 2020.

Thanks

0Reply
9 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · York, PA · Member since 2018 · 115 posts · 58 votes
    7y

    It is not unreasonable. Be data driven. Underwrite your deals with property management costs in them. If I come along and I plan to self manage, and we have identical cost assumptions and identical performance requirements, I will likely have a lower offer price and get the property. I don't see that as a bad thing! You're doing the right thing being self aware about what you want. 

    This doesn't have to be a bad thing, just accept the decision you're making (use a PM) and move to action with that decision, there will be plenty more!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.