Does anyone qualify for and use Medicaid for Health Insurance?

Does anyone qualify for and use Medicaid for Health Insurance?

Rental Property Investor · Huron, OH · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 7 votes

Can’t seem to find much information on this but my family and I have qualified for Medicaid for like the past 5 years and we are full time real estate investors with no w2 income. The income eligibility allows us to use our AGI instead of our gross income and so depreciation, expenses, utilities, maintenance ect is all taken off our income and so obviously our taxed income is low enough that we qualify. Could anyone give me pros and cons on this? Most of the posts on health insurance seems that people purchase private health insurance...is there a reason to do that rather than Medicaid? I just assumed that free health care was better for cash flow than paying for it but would like to get some advice from others. We’re in the state of Ohio thanks! 

0Reply
26 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2022 · 49 posts · 17 votes
    3y
    Quote from @James Defazio:

    Can’t seem to find much information on this but my family and I have qualified for Medicaid for like the past 5 years and we are full time real estate investors with no w2 income. The income eligibility allows us to use our AGI instead of our gross income and so depreciation, expenses, utilities, maintenance ect is all taken off our income and so obviously our taxed income is low enough that we qualify. Could anyone give me pros and cons on this? Most of the posts on health insurance seems that people purchase private health insurance...is there a reason to do that rather than Medicaid? I just assumed that free health care was better for cash flow than paying for it but would like to get some advice from others. We’re in the state of Ohio thanks! 


    how does this work? Do you qualify for Medicaid even though you own a rental property ?

    insterested to know if you can qualify for ihss/in home support services or long term care LTC even though you own rental property 
  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @James Defazio

    Don't know much about Medicaid.  Guess you got the properties well out of your name to qualify?  Also, there should be a clawback --- Medicaid legally can, and does, recover all of its expenses from your estate (after your passing).  So, you are kinda taking a loan against your estate to pay for your medical.

    Sure there is a reason to purchase your own health insurance --- why take a government hand out from a program that I thought was for people that are basically more on the destitute side?  I'm sure there are those that say you should take whatever you can get...

  • Member since 2022 · 49 posts · 17 votes
    3y
    Quote from @David M.:

    @James Defazio

    Don't know much about Medicaid.  Guess you got the properties well out of your name to qualify?  Also, there should be a clawback --- Medicaid legally can, and does, recover all of its expenses from your estate (after your passing).  So, you are kinda taking a loan against your estate to pay for your medical.

    Sure there is a reason to purchase your own health insurance --- why take a government hand out from a program that I thought was for people that are basically more on the destitute side?  I'm sure there are those that say you should take whatever you can get...


    I think paying for nursing home care is the concern. I want to enjoy a rental property without having to give up coverage 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.