Do you encourage your friends to get involved in REI?

Do you encourage your friends to get involved in REI?

Rental Property Investor · GA · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 11 votes

Hi all,

Relatively new to the community, I am a REI (and Millennial) who notices lots of friends not getting involved.

Do you guys try to actively involve friends in real estate investing? Do you ever try to encourage or assist them to get started? If yes, do they get involved, or what do you see holding them back?

0Reply
15 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 592 posts · 765 votes
    7y

    Nope.  Happy to help if they discover their own interest but one of the most fruitless activities in the world is to try to push someone with no drive or no interest.

    Also a Millenial. 

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    @Matt OConnor I never discuss it with my friends. That is what BP and investor meet ups is for. Discussions with friends and most relatives is unproductive and to them will sound like bragging; no matter how you try to position it you can't talk about your 20 unit MF, or even a duplex, without them becoming weird. 

    Just my thoughts on the matter. All the best!

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Matt OConnor of course but I find most severely under estimate how much time it takes.

    Would you rather spend your Saturday watching tv or hanging with friends or looking at deals or attending an inspection?

    You really have to love this stuff to want to do it. So many people just say, "I want to do REI for financial freedom". I don't think most of those people make it very far

  • Rental Property Investor · GA · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 11 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth:

    @Matt OConnor of course but I find most severely under estimate how much time it takes.

    Would you rather spend your Saturday watching tv or hanging with friends or looking at deals or attending an inspection?

    You really have to love this stuff to want to do it. So many people just say, "I want to do REI for financial freedom". I don't think most of those people make it very far

    What primarily holds them back do you think? The high degree of effort it takes to get started?

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matt OConnor:
    Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth:

    @Matt OConnor of course but I find most severely under estimate how much time it takes.

    Would you rather spend your Saturday watching tv or hanging with friends or looking at deals or attending an inspection?

    You really have to love this stuff to want to do it. So many people just say, "I want to do REI for financial freedom". I don't think most of those people make it very far

    What primarily holds them back do you think? The high degree of effort it takes to get started?

    Not entirely sure, I think it’s different things for different people.  

    I think you have to be hyper focused to do real estate and a lot of people just get hung up on the perfect deal, which doesn’t really exist  

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    No....got enough competition as it is :).

    If they are already doing it, or ask me about it, I'm more than willing to talk about it.... but I don't bring the subject up on my own

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.