Tile Install Labor Cost: 1st Rehab Project!!

Tile Install Labor Cost: 1st Rehab Project!!

Rental Property Investor · Plano, TX · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 24 votes

Greetings Bigger Pockets! I am working on my first ever rehab project ... all thanks to Bigger Pockets, it's amazing content, books, and all the feedback and input I received from all the members.  Never thought I would be working on my business, but here I am!! 

I'm installing tile on my rehab in Dallas, TX.  I have all the tile (includes all floor and bathroom tiles), so only need the labor.  I asked a few contractors for bids but what I'm getting in return varies wildly -- from $4,200 to $15,000 -- again, this is for labor only (I'll also purchase the materials for the install).  Tried to look up some info that could give me an idea of a good "per sq. ft. price" or something similar, but nothing.  

Does anyone here have an idea on a reasonable price for tile install?  Please help.


Scope: Floor tile (6X48) that looks like wood, subway tile in bathrooms, and other hex (mesh) tile on the shower floor. 

1Reply
222 views

Most Popular Reply

Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
7y

Somewhere between $4200 and  $ 15000 .  It doesnt matter what anyone here says what they think it should be . Thats not going to change the contractors prices . 

See this reply in the discussion

57 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ricardo Moreno:

    In Texas I'm paying $ 2-2.50 a square foot for floor tiles and $450 to tile the bathrooms.I pay for all materials with the contractors picking up as needed.

     That seems high for South Texas.  On a side note, I graduated from Gregory-Portland in the 80s

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Greg H.:
    Originally posted by @Ricardo Moreno:

    In Texas I'm paying $ 2-2.50 a square foot for floor tiles and $450 to tile the bathrooms.I pay for all materials with the contractors picking up as needed.

     That seems high for South Texas.  On a side note, I graduated from Gregory-Portland in the 80s

    I'd like to retire around Rockport. Does that count? 

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Mike Reynolds

    I have spent many a day fishing in Aransas Bay.  My Mom was the School Superintendent in Rockport in the early 90s. She was only the 4th ever female Superintendent in Texas.  Always thought I would follow the teaching route until I went to a job fair and teachers were starting at $18000 yr at that time....I was like NO THANKS !

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Greg H. Agree. I have just as much respect for teachers as I do the fire fighter or police. A thankless job that doesn't pay much. They really love the job and care about helping people instead of themselves. Hats off to your mom. 

  • Canandaigua, NY · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    @Nino Alfano your prices per SF are double within the range as well!

  • Canandaigua, NY · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    @Alex Mendoza wow I can't beleive the amount of responses to this question! Looks like you are in good hands here. Only advice I would give is yo could try the cheapest guy by giving him a small portion of the job to start with like just one bathroom floor. Give him specific deadline to start and complete if he can't do that project move on to another contractor. You also should have a process for checking references such as past performance from home owners or other contractors, any way so follow that process and you should not go wrong!

  • Rental Property Investor · RI · Member since 2017 · 94 posts · 52 votes
    7y

    @Alex Mendozay

    Tiling is supper easy to do. Watch a YouTube video and try. It may take a weekend or two but You'll save money.

    You might need a wet saw. I think the big box shops rent them, or you could buy a small one for a $100ish.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.