Italian Homes for 1 Euro to Restore

4 Replies

I am interested in learning more about the programs in Italy that offer houses for 1 Euro to restore. I am considering purchasing one to restore and rent as a guest house with a women's investing group that i manage. Has anyone looked into these 1 Euro houses? Anyone have recommendations on agents in Italy? (I think several of these are in Sicily, so perhaps an agent in Sicily?)

I haven't done it but I did some looking into it because my wife and I love Italy.  I actually just read an interesting article a couple weeks ago with an update from several people who have purchased homes there: CNN Travel: We bought a $1 house in Italy. Here's what happened next.

Seems to be mostly positive reports, at least from those interviewed in the article.  I think it would obviously be more of a challenge to do the renovations for those of us from the US than the other buyers from the EU who can be there in a short couple hour flight.  But, as you'll read in the article, people are doing it.

The other thing I took away from the article is that, even though prices start out at 1 Euro, it may be worthwhile to spend a little more (4,200-10,000) and get a property in better condition that requires much less renovation but is still a good deal.  Especially if you're a US buyer and trying to do it all from so far away.  Might take years off the renovation. 

Anyway, just some things to think about.  Hope it works out for you if you decide to go through with it!

Um... no. You didn't find a leprechaun, you found people trying to unload a tax burden on you the same way people do with lousy time shares for 1 dollar.

Sorry to piss on your fun, but at the same time, did you really think it was going to be that easy?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here