Hi there,
I am a newbie here. I have been investing in the stock market for years. Now I'd like to diversify my investment by getting into real estate, starting small, likely a 1-2 bedroom condo or townhouse and rent it out. I'd like to get some insights from the seasoned investors about your experience investing locally vs remotely. What are some of your biggest challenges?
If it is a city which you think it has growth potential, such as North Virginia Arlington area since Amazon is going there and their shortage in homes, would you feel it is justifiable to jump through extra hoops to buy remotely?
Thank you.
Carmen
Hello @Carmen Ngai,
An excellent question. Whether you should invest locally or in another location is not an emotional decision, it is a spreadsheet decision. Let’s start at the end and work backwards to the location. I believe that every investment property must meet the following three criteria.
Achieving the three criteria requires a combination of the right location, tenant pool, investment team and property. If you do not get one or more of the above correct, you are likely to lose money, at least for the short term. Of the four essential elements, the two most important are the location and the tenant pool. If you can meet all four in your neighborhood, there is no need to look elsewhere. If you cannot, then you have no choice but to invest elsewhere.
“Live where you like but invest where you can make money.” …Source unknown
Rather than suggesting specific locations, I listed below a summary of the criteria I would follow when selecting a location.
Lastly, there is no perfect investment location. Factors such as not having a good investment team or properties that require a lot of rehab could make an otherwise good location unacceptable. So look for a good location and not a “perfect” location, they do not exist.
Hello @Carmen Ngai,
An excellent question. Whether you should invest locally or in another location is not an emotional decision, it is a spreadsheet decision. Let’s start at the end and work backwards to the location. I believe that every investment property must meet the following three criteria.
Achieving the three criteria requires a combination of the right location, tenant pool, investment team and property. If you do not get one or more of the above correct, you are likely to lose money, at least for the short term. Of the four essential elements, the two most important are the location and the tenant pool. If you can meet all four in your neighborhood, there is no need to look elsewhere. If you cannot, then you have no choice but to invest elsewhere.
“Live where you like but invest where you can make money.” …Source unknown
Rather than suggesting specific locations, I listed below a summary of the criteria I would follow when selecting a location.
Lastly, there is no perfect investment location. Factors such as not having a good investment team or properties that require a lot of rehab could make an otherwise good location unacceptable. So look for a good location and not a “perfect” location, they do not exist.
Hello @Eric Fernwood,
Thank you so much for your insights. Those are very informative especially for a 1st time real estate investor. I felt like I just read a book on real estate investment in 10 mins. The time lapses site you mentioned is fascinating by the way.
I live in Vancouver. The property price in the city area have become so expensive. I will try to find something locally first, likely somewhere that is close enough to Vancouver which is more affordable and within the commuting distance. It is a coastal city, also surrounded by mountains, those are state land, so, the urban sprawling issue would be limited I think. I will do more spreadsheet exercise and keep those 3 criteria in mind. If the spreadsheet number doesn't work, I would have to look elsewhere.
Carmen
@Eric Fernwood terrific response with insightful and poignant detail.
And the quote you referenced:
Also seen as:
Is most attributed to David Lindahl in his book co-authored with Donald Trump:
Brandon Turner has also referenced The Real Estate Guys Radio Show podcast as a common source for this quote as well.
@Carmen Ngai i do both. If you work with good people it can go great. But learning a remote market is very tough. If i were a newbie, I would start close to home unless there was a very compelling reason not to. Amazon entering or expanding into a region is not a compelling reason unless you are the only one who knows that this about to happen :-)