How To Find Trustworthy Private Lending Opportunities

How To Find Trustworthy Private Lending Opportunities

Rental Property Investor · South San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 262 posts · 95 votes

Hello BiggerPockets community,

I am interested in private lending and looking for trustworthy opportunities to invest money into besides just parking it into a bank. I am seeking this lending route to get myself emerged into investing at a minimum level so to say. Is there any opportunities that offer around a 10-15% (or more) that are short-term (1 year or less) to invest in that help fund real estate deals? I have found one currently, but looking for more avenues to explore. Looking forward to the responses!

1Reply
21 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Arron Paulino

    There are many options you have. There is no guarantee on the return only projections. A debt investment pays you a return say 12% plus points probably ends up between 14-15%. That would be investing in a single project I.e., fix n flip, BRRRR and other such investments. Then there are larger investments such as syndications larger multifamily projects. You will need to park your money longer generally 5 years. If done correctly your return could be in the 20% range and higher. There also equity deals. Easy example fix n flip share in profit and losses. If profit was $50,000 and your 50/50 that's 25K in less than a year say 100K investment that's a 25% return.
    Good Luck.

  • Rental Property Investor · South San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 262 posts · 95 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Kenneth Garrett:

    @Arron Paulino

    There are many options you have. There is no guarantee on the return only projections. A debt investment pays you a return say 12% plus points probably ends up between 14-15%. That would be investing in a single project I.e., fix n flip, BRRRR and other such investments. Then there are larger investments such as syndications larger multifamily projects. You will need to park your money longer generally 5 years. If done correctly your return could be in the 20% range and higher. There also equity deals. Easy example fix n flip share in profit and losses. If profit was $50,000 and your 50/50 that's 25K in less than a year say 100K investment that's a 25% return.
    Good Luck.

     Thanks for the reply and explaining! Have you done any yourself or can you recommend any trustworthy opportunities that I should look into? I have started finding these "debt investment" opportunities, but want to try out the larger investments. I am interested in long-term and equity deals. Looking forward to a reply!

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Arron Paulino

    Yes, I have you used private lenders for my last 20 projects and have funded a few projects myself.  So I have experience from both sides.  Looking to getting in to bigger multifamily projects.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bristol, CT · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Arron Paulino I would suggest networking locally at REIAs or meetups and getting some recommendations. When you offer yourself as a lender, there will be all sorts of people that will come up to you, but ideally you would get to know the person that you are lending to.

    I personally would suggest a syndication but typical hold time is 5 yrs.

    The thing with private lending is you want to find someone who is doing projects year round because if they only do 1 or 2 deals a year and your money is primed for 6 months out of the year, it’s not earning the maximal income. You also want to review their plan and exit strategy and make sure they have a handle on the numbers and the market and have a good track record.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.