Beware of Investing with Moe Mathews

Beware of Investing with Moe Mathews

Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 20 votes

We now have exact numbers.  

This property was pitched on June 6, 2020 and 10 lenders provided $20,000 each for a total of $200,000.

This house was Short-Saled on June 19, 2020 for $110,000 ( one hundred ten thousand and 00/100 dollars) as payoff for the original Note for $200,000 dated July 31, 2017. After all fees owed the net payoff was $100,419.25.  A loss of 50 cents on every dollar!

THE ONLY VETERAN HELPED IN THIS PROJECT WAS MOE MATHEWS.  Following is Moe telling the local TV station what good he's going to do.

https://wtvr.com/2017/10/23/u-s-marine-working-to-help-local-veterans-find-homes/

I want to caution anyone who is contemplating lending money to real estate Entrepreneur's. Always do your due diligence. Ask for references, call those references, find others who have invested that were not disclosed. (The Internet is a powerful tool). Recently I dealt with an investor out of the Richmond VA market named Moe Mathews/ Fresh Start Realty/ Cathy Mathews. Mr. Mathews is an excellent speaker, charming, ex-Marine, who uses his past Military experience to build trust and confidence. Mr. Mathews MO is to borrow money using a promissory note or a Joint Venture with promises of decent returns. Unfortunately, in my experience when called years later has a different story, "if we just had $65,000 more, we could get it done".

Mr. Mathews finds his potential investors by attending various Real Estate Training Events, Cruises, Masterminds, IRA Training, etc. held all over the country. I would beware. Very likable, charismatic, easy to talk to, intelligent person. Will become your best friend and buy you expensive meals. In the end, nowhere to be found, no communication, and no money. I'm aware of potentially dozens of other investors.

Beware! Be Diligent. Do Your DUE DILIGENCE!

8Reply
58 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2020 · 1 post · 5 votes
6y

Thank you for posting this, Joy. I have a similar story on other properties with Moe Mathews / Fresh Start, as do friends of mine!

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 20 votes
    6y
  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 5 votes
    6y

    Thank you for posting this, Joy. I have a similar story on other properties with Moe Mathews / Fresh Start, as do friends of mine!

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    Jennifer, I'm so sorry to hear there are other damage parties.  I want to let people know this individual is looking for the next "Peter to pay Paul".  Good luck and I wish you and your other investors the best.

  • Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    We were approched to finance this property last year and we said no because it appeared the rehabbing cost would be over $200k.  So we didn't see any way the borrower could sell the property for a profit.

  • Investor · Marin County California · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Curious what does he promise his "investors" in terms of return?  Is this a "feel good - charity" pitch does he promise an overblown return on your money?  

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    Darius Ogloza, Absolutely.  You should see the stream of tears when he talks about being a Marine.  The Investment was supposed to benefit and transition vets off the streets.  The only Vet who benefited was Moe Mathews.  

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 20 votes
    5y
  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 20 votes
    5y
  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 20 votes
    4y

    Latest news on Moe Mathews

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 20 votes
    4y
  • Real Estate Lender · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2013 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    Hello I didn't really understand the experience you had based on 10 investors with 20,000 each, but in any case I stayed away from Moe because his deals never had enough meat on the bone for me to make money if I bought a house to flip

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 20 votes
    3y

    @Elehue Pierce That is what I have heard numerous times, the "deals" were always too slim or non-existent.  Stay Safe!

    Joy

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 20 votes
    3y
  • Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Joy Obie:
    Thank you for sharing 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.