Getting another rental property when first one isn’t cash flowing

Getting another rental property when first one isn’t cash flowing

Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 20 votes

Hello,

I am currently in my first house hack, with the goal of renting it out and holding onto it long term. The issue is I did a low money down conventional, which means I have PMI and a higher mortgage payment. Right now if I were to rent it out I would be negative 2-400 a month, not including vacancy, cap ex, etc..

I do have a decent amount of cash saved \ invested between my partner and myself, so getting another house shouldn't be a problem. I am wondering from a wealth building perspective would it make more sense for me to rent this house out and have the tenant pay all of the interest, insurance, pmi, and a little principal through rent, and get the depreciation tax benefit, while I cover the 2-400 a month in principal, and buy another house hack. or would it make more sense for me to pay down my principal for another year or so aggressively until I hit that 80% LTV, and then rent it out and buy another house hack.

I live in a high appreciation and expensive market (Colorado). So if the house is appreciating 3- 5% a year and all I’m doing is paying a bit of principal on the property, is that a bad idea \ strategy? I think saving up 80-100k for a down payment on a house here would take quite a long time and wouldn’t make much sense, but that’s what it takes to cash flow in this market from what I’m seeing.

Thanks for the thoughts

0Reply
7 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Well,  if you made some mistakes buying 1) that affect CF, wouldn't you want to learn what they are and then fix them before potentially making the same mistakes with 2)?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.