How much should I expect to pay for rental insurance?

How much should I expect to pay for rental insurance?

Bukka LevyPro Member
Real Estate Agent · Petaluma, CA · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 35 votes

I’ve seen others post the expect to pay around $500 for an annual policy. Is $500 a reasonable benchmark or is there a percentage of cost/value that I should be using?

I’m about to close on my first out of state rental and am being quoted $1500, so I’m a bit shocked. It is a larger home, a century home, and still has some knob & tube so I realize there’s going to be some higher costs but is this reasonable?

I may be getting too much poilcy. What should I be asking for?

Escrow is hinging on this being in place so I’m in a little bit of a crunch. Also unexpectedly out of town and working from my phone which isn’t at all helpful.

0Reply
20 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Bukka Levy:

    I’ve seen others post the expect to pay around $500 for an annual policy. Is $500 a reasonable benchmark or is there a percentage of cost/value that I should be using?

    I’m about to close on my first out of state rental and am being quoted $1500, so I’m a bit shocked. It is a larger home, a century home, and still has some knob & tube so I realize there’s going to be some higher costs but is this reasonable?

    I may be getting too much poilcy. What should I be asking for?

    Escrow is hinging on this being in place so I’m in a little bit of a crunch. Also unexpectedly out of town and working from my phone which isn’t at all helpful.

     My duplex that is 3400sqft has an annual premium of $1,200. My three unit which is 3000sqft has an annual premium of $1,800

  • Bukka LevyPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Petaluma, CA · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    @Steven Wilson Do you know what to attribute those costs to? I’m not sure how to evaluate this quote.

  • Insurance Agent · Member since 2020 · 177 posts · 76 votes
    5y

    Is it a landlord policy, or renters insurance. Just want to clarify from your title. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Bukka Levy:

    @Steven Wilson Do you know what to attribute those costs to? I’m not sure how to evaluate this quote.

    Not sure, but I know landlord policies are more expensive in general.

    A good idea would be to contact 4+ companies to help compare rates, and simply ask why this is so much more expensive.

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Bukka Levy

    I generally get a renters policy and it generally falls between $564-$720.  There are variables by how much coverage and additional riders.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.