Flipper/Rehabber · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
On multi Family homes you buy the property and rent out the units, but what do you do for single family do you rent out the rooms or can you only rent it to one family
Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 55 posts · 64 votes
5y
It depends on your location. I would say the majority of SFH rentals would be the entire home, but it is fairly common near college campuses to rent out on a per-room basis. I would say per-room is probably more lucrative if your local market and laws make it feasible.
Just like any investment if you buy it at the right price you can make good money. My SFR's I rent the entire house to a family. They pay all utilities, take care of lawn care and snow removal. They cash flow $400 per month or better. Renting per bedroom in my opinion takes a lot more work and they have to get along with each other. You'll have more turnover. I have a student housing building, but I generally rent it out to a family. It's a lot easier to manage and less wear and tear on the building.