Passive RE investment diversification

Passive RE investment diversification

Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 7 votes

Brand new to BP, just getting started with RE investment and am looking to invest in multifamily, duplex/triplex eventually once I have solid understanding of it. In the meantime, I would like to have some passive investment going on to generate cash flow. I am considering investing in syndication deals and some into REITs (for dividends) . Is it a good strategy to diversify? 

Also, how would one vet for the sponsors running syndication with good returns? 

Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

4Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 170 posts · 227 votes
5y

It depends on what returns you hope to see. I will never invest in REITs because the returns are abysmal compared to what I can make full time or even part time investing in rental property here in columbus ohio. Syndications are great for someone that wants to remain a passive investor or has too much money and needs to invest in bigger assets that they can't handle with their team. I like control of my money therefore I won't give it to a GP to manage in a syndication. However if you lack time either of these options are better than not investing in real estate at all :)

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Taylor L. Great point on the liquidity and volatility with REITs. I like your analysis on how liquidity can sometimes be a bad thing. Great insight, thank you!

  • Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Thank you @Ian Ippolito for such a helpful response. That's a whole lot of information for someone like me to get started. It may take a while to do this level of DD for me but I think that's the way to go. I will definitely reach out to you once I re-read your analysis for the deal that I was considering. Thanks again, much appreciated! 

  • Multifamily investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 281 posts · 521 votes
    5y

    @Ashish Rizal when it comes to vetting sponsors, some investors ask to speak with my current investors, or our projections vs actuals report. 

  • AJ ShepardPro Member
    Real Estate Syndicator · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 453 posts · 312 votes
    5y

    Welcome to BP! I think investing some in REITs is a good place to keep your money while you look for syndication (probably not ones with a lot of retail commerical right now....). When it comes to passive income investments, syndication is a great deal since cash flow is fairly predictable. When it comes to vetting a sponsor, it is always best to know if they have a solid reputation, a strong track record, and the right debt and equity relationships, and all other skills needed to manage the project successfully. Brian Burkes book the handsoff investor is a great read on how to vet deals and syndcators, so suggest picking that up ASAP.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.