Certificate of Occupancy Timeframe in City Los Angeles

Certificate of Occupancy Timeframe in City Los Angeles

Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 11 votes

I just recently finished converting my garage into an ADU and it was finally approved on 11/4/2020. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the certificate of occupancy or any tricks to expedite it so I can rent out my unit? I already email the City Inspector and their Supervisor but still haven't heard anything.

0Reply
45 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · LA, CA · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Did the inspector sign off? The ladbs site should have that info, not sure how long they are taking too update. 

    How long was the conversion process ? 

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    5y

    www.ladbs.org - click on the "Services" tab and under that drop down menu, select property activity report. Then fill in the address and search.

    That said, I just waited 1.5 months for a CofO on a single family home and am in week 6 waiting for another. The supervisors always say the same thing, "they are backed up" and you have to wait in line with the rest. The CofO paperwork is very easy and quick, so this is just another lame excuse sent down from the bureaucrats.

    You can give your sob story over and over, but in the end, they just don't care and unfortunately, during COVID, you can't walk into the office and speak with a supervisor as I had to do almost every time pre-covid to get my CofO. Sorry I dont have better news for you.

  • Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    Good luck I’ve been waiting for 6 months For COfO on one of ADUs. They only thing that I’ve done in the past is call everyday and speak with the supervisor. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.